Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Today at Disneyland: The Little Mermaid (1989) Sing-Along

This month Disneyland has introduced a new event for Annual Passholders, "Sing Along Under the Stars" at the Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree.

I just saw THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989) at the El Capitan Theatre last October, but it's one of my favorite Disney movies so I was happy to go see it again and check out the sing-along format.


Disney did a very nice job hosting the screening. They offered complimentary popcorn, cocoa, and bottled water; the film was preceded by trivia questions and other entertainment, culminating in an appearance by Ariel herself:


The movie was shown on a large screen, with the song lyrics appearing at the bottom of the picture. Disney employees scattered throughout the audience helped encourage the singing, along with hand movements they'd shown the audience before the movie started.


A fun highlight was bubbles falling down on the audience during "Under the Sea." That's the kind of extra touch that makes an evening such as this special. A good time was had by all!

The next Disneyland sing-along will be ALADDIN (1992) on February 19th and 20th, followed by THE LION KING (1994) on just one night, February 26th.

ALADDIN also screens on February 20th at Disney's El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood as this month's "Throwback Thursday" movie.

5 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Guess what - I was there too!!! We missed each other. Looks like you were further forward than me. I really enjoyed it also and I thought the sound system was excellent. And the bubbles were a nice touch. I have friends that went last week and said it was no where near as crowded. Word got out how fun it was :)

11:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh, that's funny! Yes, we had nice seats up in the front section. Hope I can fit in ALADDIN next Wednesday, maybe see you there? :)

I agree, the stereo sound was excellent.

Best wishes,
Larua

11:58 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

No, unfortunately I will not be able to make the next two weeks. :(

2:19 PM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

I wish I were there! I love The Little Mermaid, I know all of the songs and would have loved to attend this.

I remember a long time ago when The Little Mermaid was temporarily unavailable on VHS tape. I had unfortunately destroyed my own VHS copy (with the original controversial cover) from over watching it. Since there was no VHS to buy, I consoled myself with a VHS copy of a Disney sing-a-long compilation that was Ocean themed. It had one (maybe two?) Little Mermaid songs and bunch of others. I used to sing-along to it all the time!

I might have to watch The Little Mermaid this weekend and do my own home sing-a-long lol! Thanks for sharing this Laura (sorry for the long comment!)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Raquel, I wish you were there, you would have had a blast! It's such a great movie, and the audience (all ages including many young women such as yourself!) really got into the singing and hand movements. It's nice to be surrounded by people who appreciate a movie as much as you do, and you definitely would have felt that at the screening.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your LITTLE MERMAID memories, I really enjoyed it!

Best wishes,
Laura

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older