Friday, January 23, 2015

Today at Disneyland: Snow Queens: Art of Ice

There was beautiful weather for today's trip to the Disneyland Resort.

First off, a visit to California Adventure, where the Condor Flats Airfield is being rethemed; it's now going to be part of the Grizzly Peak area.


I'm not quite sure what to make of this advertisement for the new FROZEN activities which are located in Hollywood Land. This sign, situated in the area recently occupied by the park's Christmas tree, looks a bit like a popsicle, with a big white stick in front:


After breakfast and some rides it was time to head over to Disneyland for the new exhibit "Snow Queens: Art of Ice."


The exhibit combines design ideas for FROZEN (2013) with older art by legendary Disney Imagineer Marc Davis for The Enchanted Snow Palace, a boat ride inspired by THE SNOW QUEEN.   The Enchanted Snow Palace was planned for Florida's Magic Kingdom in the '70s; alas, it was never built.


Some of the FROZEN art:





The Enchanted Snow Palace by Marc Davis:





A couple of years ago Jim Hill Media posted an article with more information on the abandoned project.

I love to collect Disney theme park mugs and was happy this week to learn about a brand-new line of "You Are Here" Starbucks mugs sold at the two parks. I came home with both of them!


A cast member told me they are selling very quickly, and indeed, I saw the shelves being restocked in both parks while I was shopping.


As lovely as the day was, I'm glad to see there's some possible rain in next week's forecast; California needs it!

Have a great weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I do not like the Frozen Popsicle (good one) on Buena Vista Street. It is completely out of place with the late 20's into the 30's vibe that the street is supposed to project. I was not able to see the Art of Ice exhibit when I was there Wednesday because the lobby was closed getting ready for Wednesdays With Walt. Love this "slow season" at the Resort right now. And yes, those mugs are nice but I didn't buy either as I have way too many as it is. Sigh.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Irene, nice to hear from you! I'm with you...if they needed to put a FROZEN ad there, which is debatable (you can see all the banners down Hollywood Blvd. from that spot anyway), I wish they had tried to come up with something more visually appealing, especially for that area. Hopefully it will disappear soon as it seems to be cheaply made.

Hope you'll be able to see the exhibit soon, I really liked the exhibit's overall color palette, and the Davis art was fascinating.

Best wishes,
Laura

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older