Friday, July 17, 2015

Today at Disneyland: Diamond Anniversary Celebration

Today was a very special day at Disneyland, as the park celebrated its Diamond Anniversary.

I was there bright and early this morning to be sure I received one of the commemorative "I Was There" buttons and a commemorative guide map.


The map is absolutely wonderful, unfolding to reveal a replica of the original guide map inside:



It was a beautiful day at Town Square...


...where I paused to read Walt Disney's Opening Day speech at the flagpole:


Diamond Anniversary bunting on Main Street U.S.A. waved in a soft breeze:


At 10:00 a.m. much of the park came to a standstill for the 60th Anniversary ceremony, which was held in front of the castle. The ceremony was simulcast to several other locations in the park in order to handle the crowds; I watched it with a packed crowd near the entrance to Frontierland.


Disneyland President Michael Colglazier introduced VIPs, including Disney family members and Disney Legends. The brief ceremony came to an emotional climax with a "thank you" to Walt Disney, the performance of his favorite song, "Feed the Birds." Broadway's Mary Poppins, Ashley Brown, sang the song accompanied by its composer, Richard Sherman. It was one of multiple times today I became a bit teary-eyed, and I wasn't the only one. The performance can be seen on YouTube.

Richard and Ashley then led everyone singing "Happy Birthday" to Disneyland, as characters joined them on the stage, and the ceremony came to an end.

Then it was time...


...for free birthday cupcakes!


I brought home two 60th Anniversary mugs for my collection; the one on the right is a Starbucks special edition mug.


Later in the day, after I'd headed home, Disneyland honored Opening Day employees with a procession before the afternoon parade.

It was a wonderful, happy day at Disneyland, and I'm so glad I was able to be a part of it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Laura, I'm so jealous that you got to be there for the 60th! I'm hoping to get back out to Anaheim sometime in the next few years at least. Nice job with the photos.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older