Thursday, July 16, 2015

A Decade of Laura's Miscellaneous Musings

It's hard to believe, but today marks the tenth anniversary of Laura's Miscellaneous Musings, which came into being on July 16, 2005.

After experimenting with the blog's content in the first two or three years -- hence the name "Miscellaneous Musings"! -- my focus gradually sharpened to the things I enjoy the most, and the blog evolved into its familiar format of the last few years: Movie and book reviews, TCM and DVD release news, Disney park photo posts, coverage of local screenings and film festivals, and more.

Among the exciting things I'll be covering in the weeks ahead: next month's Disney D23 Expo and, in October, the 2015 Lone Pine Film Festival.

One of my favorite things about blogging is when someone lets me know they enjoyed a movie or book after reading about it here. Just one recent example is when a longtime reader said hello at UCLA and let me know he'd come to see WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951) after reading about it here -- and he loved it! Experiences like that are special.

I continue to be so grateful for the many wonderful people I've met thanks to this blog, as well as the marvelous opportunities which have come my way. It's a privilege to be able to share my thoughts on the "good things" I enjoy with all of you.

In honor of completing a decade of blogging, as well as reaching 3000 followers on Twitter in the near future, I'm doing something extra-special to celebrate -- a giveaway! Thanks to our friends at the Warner Archive I'm giving away three sets of Warner Archive DVDs to three lucky winners:

First, a set of three new film noir and crime releases, TWO O'CLOCK COURAGE (1945), JOHNNY ANGEL (1945), and SPECIAL AGENT (1935):


Next, a pair of early James Stewart films, THE MURDER MAN (1935) and SPEED (1936):


Finally, Errol Flynn and Kay Francis in ANOTHER DAWN (1937) paired with Greer Garson and Robert Mitchum in DESIRE ME (1947).


My reviews for each of these films can be accessed by clicking on each hyperlinked title.

To enter, simply leave a comment below. I'll put all the names in a bowl, and my husband will draw three winners ten days from now, on Sunday, July 26th. Be sure to calendar to check back here on that date for the names of the winners; winners will need to email me a mailing address by clicking "Contact Me" on the upper left margin of the page. If I don't receive someone's address by the end of the month, I'll draw another winner's name.

With apologies to my faithful readers in Canada, Europe, and beyond, this drawing is only open to residents of the continental U.S. If you live in those areas you are greatly appreciated and most welcome to comment below; if I don't already know your location, just be sure to let me know if you live outside the U.S. when you comment.

Ten years ago I never dreamed where blogging would take me, including the friends I'd make and the experiences I'd have. I'm excited to see what happens in the decade to come! My deepest gratitude to all of you who have been part of the journey.

Previous blog anniversaries: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.

July 26, 2015 Update: Here is the announcement of the winners!

31 Comments:

Blogger Kristina said...

Congrats on this big accomplishment!
One of my favourite blogs to read and one of my favourite people to know :) Grateful for that, for your support, and most of all for your dedication to sharing your discoveries, experiences and love of movies with all of us. Thanks and wishing you many more years of happy blogging!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Terence Towles Canote said...

Congratulations on ten years of blogging, Laura! It is a remarkable achievement. There aren't that many of us "old" bloggers around. :-)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Tipper Moore said...

I follow your blog via RSS and enjoy your reviews and updates. Hope you're here for the next 10 years!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations! What an achievement! I also bought Westward The Women based on your review here! Here is to ten more years!

10:36 AM  
Blogger DKoren said...

Congratulations on 10 years! Wow, that is awesome! You're on my daily reading list, and I am always looking forward to your reviews, misc updates, and Disney posts.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, congrats on ten years! I'm not even sure when my blogiversary is, to be honest, and it certainly hasn't had the consistency of yours! I recorded Westward the Women this week when you were posting about it on Twitter, so thanks for that reminder. I probably won't have time to watch it until we're done with Summer of Darkness, but I'm looking forward to it!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the anniversary, Laura.
I notice that you started this blog one day before the 50th anniversary of Disneyland. How ironic and appropriate considering your love of the park!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

You don't have to include my comment as an entry just as a congratulations on 10 wonderful years of blogging. I've been following your blog for 8+ years and I even remember trying to convince you to join Twitter! I'm so grateful for our friendship and the time we've spent together at TCMFF and on other adventures. You are truly a delight Laura and it shows through your writing. Thanks for a decade of great blogging!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Cliff Aliperti said...

Just saw this on Twitter and wanted to repeat myself here, a big congratulations to one of my favorite bloggers! The volume of posts, and quality over that volume, is such an inspiration to all of us, Laura. Thank you!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Jerry E said...

Fantastic achievement, Laura! Laura's Miscellaneous Musings is now part of my daily life and our on-line friendship is greatly valued by me.

Please keep up the good work for another 10 years (at least)!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Pete said...

Congratulations! I always love reading your blog!

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Laura. You are an inspiration to many!

4:37 PM  
Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Ten years! What an amazing accomplishment! Thank you for all the joy you bring to your readers. Your blog always brightens my day. And how wonderful that we are both cyber and real life friends! Congratulations, Laura! - Warmly, Jane

4:48 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Congrats on your 10th Blogiversary!!! And an even bigger congrats on the wonderful content on you blog!!!! Keep up the good work; I look forward to reading about your 20th Blogiversary! --Missy

4:57 PM  
Blogger Cullen Gallagher said...

Thank you for all your wonderful recommendations!

7:16 PM  
Blogger A said...

Congrats! I love your site. I hope it's running many years to come.

9:06 PM  
Blogger KC said...

Please don't enter me in the contest; I'm already drowning in DVDs! (not that there's anything wrong with that) I just wanted to congratulate you and say how much fun it has been to be your friend all these years. You are such a talented writer and I'm always impressed by how prolific you are, considering the high quality of your posts. May you continue for many years to come! xo

9:42 PM  
Blogger Serena Sojourner said...

Congrats ! I live in France and they love American Classic movies. TCM and Paramont channels are popular. They do like to use dubbing vs subtitles however. You can choose original format thankfully. Again congrats!

10:57 PM  
Blogger mel said...

Congratulations on reaching the end of your first decade of blogging, Laura. That's quite an achievement, producing such quality posts almost every day.

I'm holding up my glass of pomegranate juice and wishing you a great next decade!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks so much to everyone who left comments today! I've had a busy workday and it's been so great to peek in from time to time as the comments have come in. I appreciate the kind words from each and every one of you VERY much! And I've been jotting down names for the drawing. :)

As I scroll down the comments, it's wonderful to realize how many of you have become "in person" friends! I've had wonderful experiences attending screenings, festivals, or other events with Raquel, Kristina, Jane, Deb, Jandy and Will. And hopefully I'll meet more of you in the future! Jerry, really hope we will make it back to the UK before too many years pass and we can meet!

Jane, any chance we'll see you in Lone Pine this year? :)

Larry, that's a good point about the timing. It's purely coincidence the blog started the day before Disneyland's anniversary, but it's very nice!

Thank you all once more for your friendship, your encouragement, and the wonderful feedback!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Several comments came through moderation after I wrote my last comment, or I would have included KC on my list of friends I've had wonderful "in person" experiences with!

Wonderful having comments above from Israel, France and the UK -- thanks to you all!

Looking forward to enjoying the next decade with all of you!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope I'm not too late,Laura, to add my congratulations. I visit you every day! Your output is phenomenal!
Here's to the next ten years.
I'm from Scotland but am hoping to make a trip to L.A. sometime in the future.Hope we can meet.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

No need to enter me in the contest either :) Just a congratulations on 10 years! I remember when your blog also featured political commentary with which I totally agreed! I've said it before but I have been led to many great movies thanks to you and also some great books (currently reading one you mentioned a few weeks ago about the making of Sound of Music). Here's to another 10 years and maybe a bump into each other at Disneyland event. Sorry I won't be at D23 this year but will look forward to your coverage.

7:23 AM  
Blogger James Corry said...

Congrats Laura!! Here's looking forward to the NEXT 10 years!! Don't put my name in the bowl.....I've already got all those WB Archive releases!! Give them to another deserving person!!

Love to you!

Brad

7:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on your tenth anniversary! It's nice to find a spot on the web that reviews the Warner Archive Releases in depth.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. I don't know how I first found your blog (maybe from ClassicFlix?), but I've been enjoying it for months. Most recently I watched and enjoyed So Dear to My Heart based on your review, and so I've added many other films to my queue. I've also appreciated your recap of the TCM film Festival.

Thanks and congrats again
Seth

5:18 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Vienna, never too late! Please let me know if you make it to CA, it would be wonderful to meet.

Irene, you must be one of my most long-time readers! I'm so appreciative of that and your friendship, and I hope we'll meet at the park again before too long! I'm delighted I've been able to recommend so many movies and books which you enjoyed. Enjoy the SOM book!

Brad, thank you!! You're a really longtime reader too!! So good to hear from you. :)

Erik, I appreciate that, and I'm very glad to know you find the Warner Archive reviews helpful. I'm glad I can fill that niche for my readers.

Seth, that is fantastic you enjoyed SO DEAR TO MY HEART after reading about it here -- thank you for letting me know! I was able to revisit that film at the TCM Classic Film Festival last spring and it was such a joy seeing it in a beautiful print with an appreciative audience. Happy to know I've been able to help build your ClassicFlix queue with my recommendations!

With thanks and best wishes to all!
Laura

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 10 years, Laura! May there be many more.

Colin

1:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you, Colin, I really appreciate that -- all the more as I so enjoy your writing and your site.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ten years–wow! What an accomplishment. As a fellow blogger, I know it can be hard to maintain a sense of self-motivation when balancing this kind of passion with life’s many other priorities.

Your blog is one of the first that I check when I see a film and want to read a little bit about it. Thank you for a terrific resource, and here’s to the next ten years!

Eric

11:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Eric, I appreciate your kind words so much. I love hearing that I'm able to help extend your enjoyment and knowledge when you're interested in a film.

Best wishes,
Laura

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older