Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Photos From the Road: Sea Lion Caves

Last month we visited Oregon to spend time with our brand-new grandsons!


One morning while the babies were busy at a checkup we made the drive from Eugene to Florence, Oregon, to see the famous Sea Lion Caves.


Billed as "America's Largest Sea Cave," it's a private wildlife preserve and bird sanctuary which was founded in 1932.


An elevator takes you far underground to see the caves.


Click on any photo to enlarge it for a closer look.


The view of scores of sea lions in the cave is absolutely amazing.




The entire place is incredibly scenic.


The skyline was amazing that morning, with a streak of bright blue peeking in between the clouds.



Heceta Head Lighthouse seen in the distance.


My husband was able to take some remarkable photos of the birds.



Below is one of the spots the sea lions congregate outside the caves.



Back in Eugene we paid a visit to the 5th Street Public Market.


While we were there we tried Handel's ice cream, which was recommended by our daughter. The company was originally founded in Ohio in 1945.


I can recommend the mint chocolate chip! The servings were huge, more than we could eat; this was considered a single scoop!


We also visited nearby Smith Family Bookstore, an excellent used bookstore. I was glad to add a title to my extensive collection of movie reference books by James Robert Parish.


This stack of vintage books at the front of the store caught my eye.


That afternoon we paid a return visit to a favorite burger place in Eugene, Dickie Jo's. It's a cheerful spot with very consistent quality, and I recommend it.


We're hoping to return to Eugene this fall to see how the babies have grown in the intervening weeks, and if COVID circumstances allow we'll also attend a Ducks football game.


6 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Wow - that cave looks amazing. Not too sure I could handle the elevator ride down though. I have a touch of claustrophobia ;) Also those eating places make me hungry. And I guess they don't do math up there (which I suppose gets in to what the governor just passed regarding graduating standards!!!) - I count three scoops not one -haha.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Irene! I have a bit of claustrophia myself and my S-I-L's parents warned us we might feel a little uncomfortable about that elevator ride. Fortunately I didn't have any problems. It also helped (for both claustrophia and COVID!) that it was not super crowded the day we were there.

LOL re the graduation standards (or lack thereof) in Oregon -- sad but true! I thought at first they got my order wrong when I saw three scoops! After eating the first scoop I had to knock the last couple scoops off to get to the cone LOL, it was way too much. But delicious! I want to try another flavor on our next visit.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:48 AM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

The Sea Lion Cave is just cute. A bit stinky, but cute. :)

8:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Margot! The smell wasn't that bad the day we were there -- noticeable but not overwhelming. We had such a fun visit! Looking forward to visiting the lighthouse on a future trip.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:01 AM  
Blogger KC said...

I have a flattened penny from the Sea Lion Caves, but I don't remember going at all! I guess it's been a while. Nice that you are getting time with the babies.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love pressed pennies, KC, that's fun that you have one from here! It might be a fun place to take the girls at some point since you haven't been in a long time. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older