Saturday, October 01, 2022

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...New on Blu-ray from Australia's Viavision/Imprint: SECRET OF THE INCAS (1954) starring Charlton Heston. This is a film which has come up in discussion along with CHINA (1943) as having inspired Indiana Jones. Glenn Erickson reviews the Viavision release.

...Glenn has also just reviewed the new Kino Lorber Blu-ray release of MURDER AT THE VANITIES (1934).

...Alison Martino has a fun new video available on Larry Edmunds Bookshop...featuring a guest visit by Ruta Lee!

...Coming in late October: LOUIS WISHES YOU A COOL YULE.

...ClassicFlix has put out a newsletter on upcoming projects, which I was interested to read include restoring Hopalong Cassidy films.

...Happiest birthday wishes to Julie Andrews, who turns 87 on October 1st. Here's my past birthday photo tribute to this very special performer.

...Jacqueline T. Lynch of Another Old Movie Blog has a new book on the way, CHRISTMAS IN CLASSIC FILMS; it's a collection of essays on Christmas movies, some of which have been adapted from her blog. It will be available in both e-book and print format.

...It's fall cookbook season! New from Cook's Illustrated: DESSERTS ILLUSTRATED...I just got a copy of HOME IS WHERE THE EGGS ARE by Molly Yeh.

...Published last week by the University of California Press: CAPTAIN OF HER SOUL: THE LIFE OF MARION DAVIES by Lara Gabrielle of Backlots. Congratulations, Lara!

...Sincere congratulations to Vienna's Classic Hollywood on ten years of blogging!

...Colin has reviewed THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY (1945) at Riding the High Country. It stars George Sanders, Ella Raines, and Geraldine Fitzgerald. One I need to see!

...On Monday, October 3rd, Annette Bochenek of Hometowns to Hollywood will give an online presentation on "Mermaids in the Movies." Ticket info is here.

...Notable Passing: Actress Venetia Stevenson, the daughter of director Robert Stevenson and actress Anna Lee, has died at 84. Her half-brother was actor Jeffrey Byron. She was briefly married to Russ Tamblyn and later married to Don Everly for several years. Her films included DARBY'S RANGERS (1958), DAY OF THE OUTLAW (1959), and SEVEN WAYS FROM SUNDOWN (1960), seen at right.

...I have sad news to share: Irene, a commenter here from the earliest days of this blog, passed away last week. Irene was always an upbeat, positive lady it was a joy to know, and I'm glad we were able to meet in person a couple of times over the years. Her longtime support of my blogging and Twitter account and her enthusiasm for our common interests meant a great deal. I know some of you who are longtime readers yourselves are familiar with her, and I wanted to let you know that this wonderful lady is no longer with us. I'm going to miss her tremendously.  It's been a sad year with Irene's passing following the deaths of Gina Neylon (Moira Finnie) and Patricia Nolan-Hall (Caftan Woman).

...There will not be an Around the Blogosphere This Week column next weekend, when I'll be attending the Lone Pine Film Festival. My next news roundup should post on October 15th.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my September 24th roundup.

4 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

Oh no, I am very saddened to hear Irene has passed. She has been a wonderful presence and I always enjoyed reading her comments. My condolences to her family and friends.

Happy birthday to Julie Andrews!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thank you for the mention, Laura, and so sorry about Irene. As always, looking forward to your impressions of the Lone Pine Film Festival.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Colin McGuigan said...

Hey Laura, thanks for another mention and your support.
My condolences to Irene's loved ones.

Colin

4:36 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all so much, Deb, Jacqueline, and Colin, for sharing your condolences regarding Irene. She will be very much missed.

Deb, Julie Andrews might be the earliest actress I was aware of thanks to MARY POPPINS and THE SOUND OF MUSIC - I hope she had a wonderful birthday.

Jacqueline, you're very welcome, and I look forward to your book! Thanks so much for checking out my Lone Pine coverage.

Colin, it's always a great pleasure to read your reviews, you consistently interest me in films I've not seen, and I also enjoy "revisiting" those I've seen thanks to your writing.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older