Sunday, March 05, 2023

Tonight's Movie: Raw Wind in Eden (1958) - A Kino Lorber Blu-ray Review

RAW WIND IN EDEN (1958), an adventure-suspense film starring Jeff Chandler and Esther Williams, has just been released on Blu-ray by Kino Lorber.

I'm quite a fan of both actors, and this title had eluded me for years. While I ended up feeling that the movie could have been quite a bit better, I was delighted to finally see it thanks to Kino Lorber.

Esther plays Laura, a model working in Italy. She also seems to be something of a "good time girl," and when playboy Wally (Carlos Thompson) delivers the news that she's been dumped by her married boyfriend, she agrees to fly with Wally to join a private party on a yacht.

The small plane crashes en route, but Laura and Wally survive, finding themselves on a Mediterranean island in the middle of nowhere. The island's only inhabitants are Erbano (Eduardo De Filippo), his daughter Costanza (Rossana Podesta), and a "beachcomber," Moore (Chandler).

There's also a young guy (Rik Battaglia) who randomly shows up at the island in a small boat and has shootouts with Moore.

No one is expected to stop at the island for weeks, and Laura is baffled when the distress flag she posts, hoping to attract attention from a passing ship or plane, repeatedly disappears.

Laura and Wally also discover a boat on the island, but when they try to fix it up in order to leave, their repairs are mysteriously undone...

Meanwhile there are varied romantic developments and complications among most of the island's inhabitants, with the young man in the boat factoring in as well.

The leads and location shooting off the Tuscan coast (by Enzo Serafin) are gorgeous, but Elizabeth and Richard Wilson's screenplay dawdles and goes nowhere in a hurry. Both the plot and relationships move very slowly in this 93-minute film; there's a bunch of action near the end but frankly it didn't all quite make sense for me.

I was also disappointed with the performance of Podesta, who had zero chemistry with Chandler, though granted the script didn't give her much to work with.

The elements had potential but while I was hoping for another minor gem such as Kino Lorber's release of Williams' THE UNGUARDED MOMENT (1956) from a couple years before, which I loved, it was not to be. You can't win 'em all.

A funny thing is that while I was watching my husband arrived home and asked from the other room "Why do I hear Paul Frees?" I was confused by the question, given Frees wasn't listed in the small cast, but when he looked at the screen he pinpointed Thompson as being dubbed by Frees. It took some Googling, but according to Dennis Seuling's review for The Digital Bits, he was correct!

RAW WIND IN EDEN was directed by the film's co-writer, Richard Wilson.

Kino Lorber's good-looking Blu-ray is from a new 2K master. Disc extras consist of the trailer; a gallery of five additional trailers for other films available from Kino Lorber; and a commentary track by David Del Valle and Daniel Kremer.

Thanks to Kino Lorber for providing a review copy of this Blu-ray.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Barry Lane said...

I am just crazy about Esther, but not only have I not seen Raw Wind in Eden, I've never met anyone who has. This is the film with Jeff Chandler she wrote about in her autobiography, which was a lot of fun. Jeff in drag. I think between my feeling about her and your comments, I am sold.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Barry, I've always wondered if Esther was telling the truth about that. As much as I love her, I have a feeling she *might* have been a bit of a "storyteller." In any event that's an image I try to push out of my mind LOL.

I'd say if you're crazy about Esther it's worth checking out at least once just to close out seeing all her movies -- at least she and the island look great, even if the story is humdrum. The movie opens with Esther doing a FUNNY FACE type high fashion shoot in Rome. If you see it let me know what you think!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Barry Lane said...

Pursuant to your instructions, I have seen Raw Wind in Eden and will comment on it -- negatively. First the good; Esther is hot as a pistol, and while she brings a minimum of depth, there isn't any. Eduardo De Filippo is by far the best of the boys or men. I did not get Pau frees, but that makes sense. Carlos Thompson was awful. Delivery, movement, expression. Perfect for this material which was empty, of plot, motivation-drama, and humor. Rik and Rossana do not count. They are like Coke bottles at an orgy. Best for last.

I believe Jeff Chandler had a romance with Esther Williams and showed up in drag. I do not believe this was about being gay, but about driving on empty. He looked awful. Based on biographical details Chandler should have been in his mid-thirties, I am in my mid-eighties, and without a moment's hesitation, say I look a lot better. Not more handsome, younger.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for getting back to me with your reaction, Barry - you gave me some chuckles.

As Esther fans it's a shame we didn't get a better movie, but at least we can now say we've seen it at long last thanks to this release!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice little review. Watching now with commentary. While this will never be a favorite, looks gorgeous in this color and remaster. And the commentary made it worth it for me. It’s not a “must-see” for most people, but for fans of the era, the stars, the culture or die-hard cinema buffs, it will be somewhat rewarding. Mildly entertaining in part.
Chaplain Steve

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older