Sunday, February 07, 2010

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Classic Movies Digest posted a very interesting review of the 1945 Paulette Goddard-Ray Milland film KITTY, which was shown on Turner Classic Movies last week. The Siren also gives "sparkling" KITTY a thumbs up. I recorded it and look forward to watching it soon.

...My friend Carrie has recently launched a new website, Rediscovering Anita Louise. It includes a filmography and beautiful photo gallery. I've only seen Louise in a few movies, including A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (1935), THESE GLAMOUR GIRLS (1939), and DANGEROUS BLONDES (1943), but I've liked her in all of them. I look forward to learning more about her via Carrie's site. Carrie has another lovely site, Remembering Frances Dee, which I highly recommend.

...At Noir of the Week the great Eddie Muller wrote a fascinating article on SLATTERY'S HURRICANE (1949), which starred Richard Widmark, Linda Darnell, and Veronica Lake. SLATTERY'S HURRICANE is shown periodically on Fox Movie Channel.

...The Pioneer Woman posted a great-looking recipe for restaurant-style salsa. I also like my salsa "non-chunky," and I'll be trying this very soon. I love the photos she included. I've never bought Rotel and will know exactly what to look for thanks to her photos.

...Barrie Maxwell has a very well-written overview of the coming year for classic DVDs, posted at Digital Bits.

...The latest book from Cook's Country: COOK'S COUNTRY BEST POTLUCK RECIPES, due March 1st. We really liked last year's COOK'S COUNTRY BEST GRILLING RECIPES, which among other things has a great recipe for garlic-marinated tri-tip.

...Mark Steyn on the global warming scandals to date: "Credibility Is What's Really Melting."

...New DVD reviews from Glenn Erickson at DVD Savant: THE WOMAN ON PIER 13, also known as I MARRIED A COMMUNIST, and Bad Girls of Film Noir Volume 1 and Volume 2.

...Last fall I mentioned a favorite childhood book series, Sydney Taylor's ALL-OF-A-KIND FAMILY. Here's more on the series from Sallie.

...Karl Rove's memoir, COURAGE AND CONSEQUENCE, is due on March 9th. When one watches the genial, even-tempered Rove's political commentary one realizes how wildly he has been caricatured by some on the left and in the press.

...Another new book: A.E. Hotchner's PAUL AND ME, about his decades of friendship with Paul Newman, is out March 23rd. Hotchner was Newman's co-founder and partner in Newman's Own; their line of food products has raised millions for charity.

...Discussing your daughters' weight issues in public is not cool, especially if you're the President or First Lady of the United States. The Obamas have also previously publicized one daughter's struggles with grades. These little girls are already in enough of a fish bowl without having very personal issues used to make points in public.

...Mondo 70 reviewed the pre-Code HOT SATURDAY (1932) last week. It stars Cary Grant, Nancy Carroll, and Randolph Scott. I own this DVD and look forward to watching it.

...For Southern Californians: a "Brit Noir" series started this weekend at the Nuart.

...A Kindle World Blog is an interesting resource for learning about free Kindle books, as well as analysis of the recent Amazon-MacMillan flap.

...Classicflix says Universal is releasing a six-film Barbara Stanwyck set in April as part of its "Backlot" series. The titles are listed at Classicflix. More details as they become available.

Have a great week!

5 Comments:

Blogger A said...

Fabulous links today! I love the stuff put out by Cooks Country so I'm excited to give the Potluck cookbook a try.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks so much for the feedback, Amanda!

I love Cook's Country too. I expect this new cookbook will be another good one. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

4:57 PM  
Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

I hate big ol' chunky salsa also- I used to get Picante sauce because it was smoother, but the taste of certain salsas is better. My mother in law makes an awesome salsa and I've been asking for the recipe for years with no avail. So now I'm going to try the PW one out- maybe the next time my dear mother-in-law comes to visit! ;)

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Laura, for including recommendation of my web sites in this week's "Around the Blogosphere" post. It's so nice to know that you enjoy the sites!

I've been wondering something about Anita's, and perhaps you can help me find the answer: is it self-evident that the pictures on the Filmography page can be clicked on and viewed, or should I add a note about that to the page?

Best,
Carrie

5:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think a note might be a good idea. I figured that out on the Photo page and then saw that that carried over to the Filmography page, but for someone starting at the Filmography page it might not be quite as intuitive.

You're very welcome! I look forward to visiting again. :)

You may know this already, but I just happened across an article today that there may be tours of the McCrea Ranch in the future. I'd sure love to do that!

Best wishes,
Laura

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older