Monday, October 16, 2023

Brigham Young (1940): A Photo Gallery

October 16, 2023, is the centennial of the birth of Linda Darnell, one of my all-time favorite actresses.

I paid tribute to Darnell here on her birthday a decade ago, and a few years ago I also shared a column I originally wrote on the actress for ClassicFlix.


I've previously shared photo galleries of stills from a pair of favorite Darnell films, THE MARK OF ZORRO (1940) and A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949).

In honor of her centennial I thought I'd share photos I've collected from one of the first films I ever saw either Darnell or Tyrone Power in, BRIGHAM YOUNG (1940), aka BRIGHAM YOUNG: FRONTIERSMAN.


As was the case with ZORRO, Linda was only 16 when she starred in BRIGHAM YOUNG opposite Tyrone Power.


She posed in a great many publicity stills for BRIGHAM YOUNG, her face radiating a happy sweetness.





BRIGHAM YOUNG may not be a classic, but it's a solid example of studio craftsmanship which I've enjoyed it many times over the years. It has a deep cast, and what a delight to watch these two beautiful actors.







With Jane Darwell:




BRIGHAM YOUNG was directed by Henry Hathaway and filmed by Arthur Miller in numerous locations, including outside Lone Pine, California; the mountain range in the back of this still clearly marks it Lone Pine. 


The young actress playing Power's little sister is Ann E. Todd, who would later play Darnell as a child in BLOOD AND SAND (1941).

Here's another shot with Lone Pine's Alabama Hills in the background:


The DVD has one of the finest commentary tracks I've ever heard. James D'Arc discusses every aspect of production history including locations, special effects, and the musical score; he also compares the film to the historical record. I highly recommend it.




I hope my fellow Darnell and Power fans will enjoy these photos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older