Monday, April 01, 2024

The 2024 TCM Classic Film Festival Schedule

The 2024 TCM Classic Film Festival is now just two and a half weeks away!

The festival will take place in Hollywood from April 18th through 21st. The theme is "Most Wanted: Crime and Justice in Film."

I'm very happy to say that I will again be covering the festival this year as a member of the credentialed media. This is my tenth year covering the festival. I'm just as excited to go as I was back in 2013!

During the festival please follow me on Twitter (aka "X") for ongoing news and "as it happens" photographs. The hashtag #TCMFF is also a great way to stay up to date on festival news.

After the festival, of course, I'll have an overview post with lots more photos, along with daily recaps.

This year's venues will be a return to the past, so to speak, with the Egyptian and El Capitan Theatres rejoining the big Chinese Theatre and three Chinese Multiplex theatres. Poolside screenings will again take place at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.

The Hollywood Legion Theater will not be used this year.

The complete festival schedule was released late last week, and I've spent the last few days making some hard decisions!

As I've shared before, there are many factors I consider when planning my schedule. Beyond interest in the movies themselves, I consider several factors: Whether or not a film is new to me; if I've seen a film previously, how long it's been and whether I've seen it theatrically; the format (35mm, 70mm, nitrate, DCP); special guests; and perhaps most importantly, how the times and venues, including distances from one another, fit together.

As is often the case, there are some screenings I'd love to attend this year, but it would be absolutely impossible to get to other screenings I want to attend even more, so I have to make tough choices.

Historically I largely stick with my planned schedule -- but I'm never unhappy if I end up changing! A great example is last year, when I planned to see THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956) on Sunday morning at the big Chinese Theatre.

However, I was not particularly happy with the sound quality in the Chinese when I attended OCEAN'S 11 (2001) earlier in the festival, and Sunday morning I felt myself called instead by Lubitsch's HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1943). It ended up being the perfect choice; seeing that film in a beautiful print with an audience was a marvelous experience.

Then I passed up plans to see CASABLANCA (1942) for THE RED SHOES (1948). It was my second time to see THE RED SHOES theatrically, and I found myself so overcome with emotion that I did something I don't think I've ever done before, I took the next movie block off just to recover! I won't ever forget that screening and how it moved me.

So, all that said, here's a rough outline of my 2024 plans, including spots which will come down to last-minute decisions.


Thursday, April 18th

Last year on opening night I saw Doris Day and Cary Grant in THAT TOUCH OF MINK (1962), and I'm hoping to kick off the 2024 festival seeing another comedy with Doris, SEND ME NO FLOWERS (1964). Rock Hudson costars in this 60th anniversary presentation. That said, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing WHITE HEAT (1949) for the first time theatrically, shown in a new 35mm print.

My choice for the second slot Thursday evening is Powell and Pressburger's THE SMALL BACK ROOM (1949), which I've never seen.


Friday, April 19th

Friday morning I have one of the previously mentioned hard choices to start the day! I would love to see Disney legend Floyd Norman at ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DALMATIANS (1961); seeing him at THE JUNGLE BOOK (1967) in 2022 was one of my best-ever festival experiences.

However, if I go to that screening at the El Capitan, I won't get out in time to see Craig Barron and Ben Burtt introduce THEM! (1954) in the multiplex. Their screenings have become "can't miss" experiences for me; a great example is last year's amazing presentation of WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE (1951), complete with "Bensurround" Sound.

So instead I will probably head for the Egyptian and start the day with William Wyler's THE GOOD FAIRY (1935), which I've never seen theatrically. It should let out in time for me to quickly walk back to the multiplex to get in line for THEM!

If for some reason I don't get into THEM!, I'll head for a slightly later screening of THE MODEL AND THE MARRIAGE BROKER (1951), which my friend Christy Putnam is introducing along with actress Diane Baker. Christy has a forthcoming biography of Thelma Ritter, who costars in THE MODEL AND THE MARRIAGE BROKER.

In the third slot of the day, my first choice is to head back to the Egyptian for THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! (1974). That film was very important in the childhood development of my love for old movies in general and MGM musicals in particular, and it would be wonderful to see it again theatrically, introduced by George Feltenstein of the Warner Archive Collection. If for any reason I don't think I can get there in time, my backup plan is to see Judy Holliday and Jack Lemmon in IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU (1954)

The fourth slot of the day is one of the hardest. My options include Steven Spielberg introducing the director's cut of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977), which I've never seen, in the big Chinese Theatre; Keith Carradine introducing John Ford's THE PRISONER OF SHARK ISLAND (1936), which I've never seen and in which his father John has a role; Jeanine Basinger screening the new documentary FRANK CAPRA, MR. AMERICA (2023); or a 35mm IB Technicolor print of REAR WINDOW (1954) at the Egyptian Theatre. Honestly, how does one choose from such riches?!

I might choose REAR WINDOW simply because of its location at the Egyptian Theatre; it follows THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! and precedes what I plan on as my last film of the day, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934). I saw IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT at the festival in 2013, introduced by the late Cari Beauchamp, and saw it again at UCLA in 2019. Each time it left me absolutely enchanted, and I can't wait to do it all over again. My backup choice: Elvis in JAILHOUSE ROCK (1957), introduced by Allison Anders.


Saturday, April 20th

On Saturday morning I highly recommend a movie which has become a huge favorite, NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES (1948), which will be introduced by Alan K. Rode and screened in 35mm nitrate at the Egyptian Theatre. However, since I saw the nitrate print at UCLA in 2017 and have seen the film theatrically multiple times, I'm leaning toward Clint Eastwood in DIRTY HARRY (1971). I've been trying to watch more of Clint's films -- in fact, I enjoyed ALCATRAZ (1979) at a past TCM Fest -- and think I'm ready for this one.

I don't think I could get to the Egyptian in time for the nitrate print of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (1950), so I will probably next see THE BIG HEAT (1953) in the same multiplex theater as DIRTY HARRY. Another great option is the "B" movie QUEEN OF THE MOB (1940) introduced by Jeremy Arnold, who hosted a great series of "B" films on TCM last summer, but the time for that film would make it more difficult for me to get to my next movie. I'm hoping there's a chance it will be reshown on Sunday!

After THE BIG HEAT it's time to head to the Egyptian for a 35mm print of Barbara Stanwyck as THE MAD MISS MANTON (1938). Other great options in this slot are NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959) introduced by Nancy Meyers in the Chinese Theatre and Phil Karlson's THE PHENIX CITY STORY (1955) introduced by the great historian Foster Hirsch.

Seeing THE MAD MISS MANTON puts me in the right place for the most important screening of the festival for me: Seeing one of my all-time heroes, film historian Jeanine Basinger, honored at a 35mm screening of one of my all-time favorite films, WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951).

After that I'd be unlikely to get back to the multiplex in time for SUMMER STOCK (1950), which I haven't seen theatrically since I was a child and would love to revisit, so I would probably choose another favorite, LITTLE WOMEN (1994). Three of the cast members will be there: Trini Alvarado, Eric Stoltz, and Samantha Mathis. Or I could decide I'm in the mood to revisit ON THE WATERFRONT (1954), which I saw introduced by Eva Marie Saint at the festival back in 2013. As I've said, you really can't go wrong.


Sunday, April 21st

Sunday I plan to start out with the Western LAW AND ORDER (1932). After that there's always uncertainty as there are several "TBA" slots with repeats of popular films.

In the second slot the currently known options include SABRINA (1954) or the pre-Code THE SIN OF NORA MORAN (1933).

After that, it's a tough one: CHINATOWN (1974), which I haven't seen since I was in college, in the Chinese Theatre versus a restoration of THE SEARCHERS (1954) at the Egyptian. I've been wanting to revisit CHINATOWN as the "water wars" it depicts are a part of Lone Pine history, but I tend to prefer more intimate theaters than the cavernous Chinese; on the other hand, I know the beauty of THE SEARCHERS will make me cry! I lean toward THE SEARCHERS, but an interesting "TBA" movie could throw that plan off.

More tough choices to close out the night include AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (1951) or THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (1950), but most often I have ended the festival with a silent movie accompanied by live music. This year the film that fits that category is Buster Keaton in SHERLOCK JR. (1924) at the Egyptian Theatre, with the Mont Alto Orchestra. So I think that's where I'll be heading.


Whew! The above hopefully gives a good idea of the amazing options available at this fest. As hard as it is to make decisions, I've always found that once I've committed to a screening I'm "in the moment" and focus completely on that film. I don't think I've ever regretted one of my movie choices at this festival!

I saw 11 films in 2013, 14 in 2014, 16 in 2015, 15 in 2016, 17 (including a block of cartoons) in 2017 and 2018, and 15 films plus a clip show in 2019 and 2011. I also saw 15 films in 2023. We'll see what 2024 brings!

For reference, my posts on the schedules for previous festivals are linked here in reverse chronological order: 2023, 2022, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013.

Anyone attending the festival is most welcome to leave links to schedule posts in the comments!


4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Loved reading about your choices, Laura. I'll see you at The Big Heat and It Happened One Night! :)

Karen

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Chris Evans said...

That is a surplus of riches. Wow is all I can say. Interesting to see what new discs may flow from this.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Broken record time: I say every year how I love that everyone gets a different tcmff. And frankly everyone plans a different one than they end up getting lol. Tons of great choices here: I'll pick The Big Heat, The Model and the Marriage Broker, probably Rear Window... The Sin of Nora Moran has a little bit of everything, that should be fun. Have a great time!!

10:32 AM  
Blogger KC said...

Have a blast Laura! I'll miss seeing you, but will enjoy seeing your updates.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older