Wednesday, March 05, 2008

A Visit to USC

I paid a visit to my daughter on the USC campus today. It was a beautiful almost-spring day here in Southern California, and many students had taken their books outside on McCarthy Quad:


There was also time for some students to enjoy a little Frisbee near Doheny Library:


The Frank Sinatra Hall inside the Eileen Norris Theater (a bit blurry due to no flash):


I had the privilege of visiting my daughter's class on film musicals taught by the great Drew Casper. After his lecture we watched the delightful THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE and MY DREAM IS YOURS. I hadn't seen either film since I was a teenager. What a treat! I'll be discussing these films at greater length in the near future.

Leavey Library and Birnkrant Hall this evening:


It's quite late, but before I conclude this post, some good news -- Dr. Casper confirmed to me that after the release of the Carmen Miranda DVD set this June, we can look forward to the second volume of Alice Faye DVDs, followed by another Betty Grable set. Hooray! :)

Update: Here are my posts reviewing THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE and MY DREAM IS YOURS.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Hello Laura,
I also took Casper's Musicals course, and when he showed Three Little Girls in Blue, he mentioned that the Fox archive had sent it over especially for his class. I'm now researching university/studio relations - do you happen to know anything about that, or if he explained the process in the lecture you attended as well?
Thanks,
Kathy

1:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for stopping by! I wish I could tell you more but I'm afraid I'm drawing a blank. (Oh, that poor pinkish copy of THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE, I hope Fox is restoring it.) Perhaps Dr. Casper would be able to fill you in if you email him? Hope so.

Hope you'll enjoy visiting here again. Fun to hear from someone else who's taken a course with Dr. Casper!

Best wishes,
Laura

Best wishes,
Laura

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older