Monday, June 09, 2008

Remake Coming of My Fair Lady

Interesting news this weekend: a film remake of MY FAIR LADY is in the works.

MY FAIR LADY won many Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Actor.

As far as I can remember, it's fairly unprecedented for a major movie musical to be remade as a theatrical film; most remakes have been for television. THE MUSIC MAN and SOUTH PACIFIC are among the musicals which have been filmed for TV in recent years.

It's hard to imagine anyone but Rex Harrison playing the role on film, but although the overall movie was beautiful, I was never very satisfied with Audrey Hepburn in the title role, so the remake idea seems to me to have some potential. I just hope they cast Eliza with someone who can really sing.

I'll have the opportunity to see a new stage production of MY FAIR LADY next weekend, starring British actor Christopher Cazenove as Henry Higgins.

Update: Missy has a great YouTube link with Julie Andrews singing "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" on stage. No one could ever do it better than Julie Andrews...but thanks to the silly decision not to cast her in the movie, we got her Oscar-winning performance as MARY POPPINS instead!

Keira Knightley is rumored to be under serious consideration for the lead role.

Friday Update: Tonight's Theater: My Fair Lady.

1 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

According to Variety, Eliza might be played by Keira Knightley. See:
http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsononhollywood/2008/06/keira-knightley.html?query=my+fair+lady

(Laura, you might have to fix that link so your readers can see it.)

Check out the 3rd YouTube clip at the link above...I don't remember ever seeing footage of Julie Andrews as Eliza. What a treat, I might blog that myself!

Missy http://missyisms.typepad.com

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older