Thursday, December 04, 2008

Hmmmm

I have the deepest respect for Ed Morrissey of Hot Air, but I disagree with his take on the Obama birth certificate controversy.

Ed writes the questions off as the work of fringe conspiracy theorists, but I feel he's off the mark.

For one thing, I'm not sure Ed's assertion that Hawaiian officials have flatly stated Senator Obama was born in Hawaii is quite accurate. I believe the officials have said Obama has a Certification of Live Birth on file stating he was born in Hawaii, but that Certification of Live Birth is not the same thing as his original long-form, witnessed "vault" birth certificate containing the name of the hospital and doctor.

Complicating the issue is the fact that, at the time Senator Obama was born, parents could obtain a Hawaiian Certification of Live Birth for their foreign-born children.

Yes, this may all end up being a tempest in a teapot, but for me, it comes down to simply accountability and common sense: Why does Senator Obama prefer to spend untold thousands of dollars in legal fees fighting the release of the original "vault" certificate rather than simply releasing it?

This strikes me as increasingly odd.

If that makes me a "truther" or conspiracy theorist, so be it.

Steady Habits also respectfully dissents from Ed's point of view.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

I read a person comment that it must be of no consequence because Hillary would have used it against him during the campaign. Given Hillary felt entitled to the WH and tenaciously fought so hard for it, if there was something to the birth certificate issue to use against Obama, I think she would have had the chutzpah to make sure it was found and then use it to her advantage.

OTOH, it is odd that he just doesn't end the question by producing it.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's something I've wondered, Dana -- you'd think if there was a "there" there Hillary would have found and exploited it.

But I just can't get past his absolute refusal to simply release this piece of paper -- which is the only way to tell if he meets the Constitutional qualifications for office. If nothing else, I fear it doesn't bode well for a transparent administration.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:10 PM  
Blogger Historical Ken said...

With something as important as this, one would think that the government could demand this certificate to be produced.
I agree with you Laura - just show us the darn thing and be done with it.
But, I don't think he will...or can.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older