Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The 90th Anniversary of Nat King Cole's Birth

Note: Power Line reminds us again today that Nat King Cole was born on this date in 1919. In honor of the day, below I reprise my post from March 17, 2007:

Scott Johnson at Power Line notes that Nat King Cole was born on St. Patrick's Day in 1919.

Nat King Cole is one of my favorite singers. I have a fairly large number of his albums as well as some LP's from my dad's collection. One of my favorites is LOVE IS THE THING. I first heard this album recommended on Nora Ephron's commentary track for SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE, as the album contains Cole's recording of "Stardust," used on that film's soundtrack. The other tracks include "When I Fall in Love" and "Stay as Sweet as You Are." The album was arranged and conducted by Gordon Jenkins.

Other favorite Cole albums include PENTHOUSE SERENADE, NIGHT LIGHTS, and MY FAIR LADY.

It's hard to choose favorite Cole songs, but the top of my Cole list includes "The More I See You," "Fly Me to the Moon," and "At Last."

Whether he's singing, playing piano, or both, nothing says "mellow" better than the wonderful Nat King Cole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older