Monday, March 16, 2009

TV On DVD Wish List: Beauty and the Beast (1976)

My recent viewing of SHE LOVES ME (1978) and DVD acquisitions of EAST OF EDEN (1981) and AND BABY MAKES SIX (1979) prompted me to muse on other TV-movies and miniseries of the late '70s and '80s I'd like to see released on DVD.

I jotted down a list, which I initially intended to use for a single post, but instead I've decided to break my list down into a series of posts focusing on specific titles or the TV-movie and miniseries work of particular actors.

First up: Hallmark Hall of Fame's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, starring George C. Scott and Trish Van Devere. 15 years before Disney's classic cartoon, I fell in love with the story in a TV-movie.

The film made quite an emotional impression on me as a young teen. I have a vague memory that it was rerun once, but I'm unaware of it having been on TV since the '70s. (Feel free to correct me in the comments, I'd love additional information on the show's history.)

The production was nominated for three Emmy Awards, including George C. Scott as Best Actor. It was directed by Fielder Cook (THE HOMECOMING: A CHRISTMAS STORY) and costarred Virginia McKenna.

The film is relatively short (74 minutes), and I think it was shown in a 90-minute time slot, filled out, I'm sure, with Hallmark card commercials.

A comment at IMDb states: "I saw this television presentation over a quarter of a century ago and for my money, it was one of the most lovely things television ever gave me."

Hallmark has released a number of their productions on both video and DVD; it's curious to me this highly regarded film has not had a release.

I'd love the opportunity to share this film with my children and see if it measures up to my fond memories.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

I remember this movie & found it very touching. I'd like to see it again as I don't remember seeing it more than two times.

Trish Van Devere has such an angelic face. Did you ever see the movie "Where's Poppa?" TVD, George Segal & Ruth Gordon are in it. I don't know how to describe it other than it is a crazy/funny movie. Maybe some would call it a "black comedy."

cheers,
Ellie

8:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Ellie,

Thanks for your note, it was nice to hear from someone else who has good memories of this movie.

I haven't seen WHERE'S POPPA? -- thanks for the mention of it. I thought Van Devere was perfect for her role in BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:09 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

I also remember this movie. It is strange Hallmark hasn't made it available as they have so many out there.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad to know you saw it too, Irene!

Let's hope it's made available before too long...

Best wishes,
Laura

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older