Friday, August 07, 2009

New on DVD: Columbia Screwball Comedies

A few days ago I briefly mentioned the new Icons of Screwball Comedy DVD sets, which came out earlier this week. I thought these new releases deserving of greater attention, particularly given how few classic films have been released on DVD this year.

Volume I (click the title of this post for the Amazon link) features Rosalind Russell and Jean Arthur. The four titles are Russell's classic MY SISTER EILEEN (1942), as well as her film SHE WOULDN'T SAY YES (1945), which I haven't seen yet.

The Arthur films are the wonderful IF YOU COULD ONLY COOK (1935), costarring Herbert Marshall, and TOO MANY HUSBANDS (1940) costarring Fred MacMurray and Melvyn Douglas. I wasn't wild about the latter film, but the set would be worth purchasing for IF YOU COULD ONLY COOK and MY SISTER EILEEN alone.

Volume 2 features films starring Irene Dunne and Loretta Young. The Dunne films are THEODORA GOES WILD (1935), which I enjoyed in a revival theater years ago, and TOGETHER AGAIN (1944), another new-to-me title. THEODORA costars Melvyn Douglas, while TOGETHER AGAIN also stars Charles Boyer.

Loretta Young's A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1943) was a lot of fun, and I also enjoyed THE DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE (1940). Loretta is paired with two great leading men, Brian Aherne and Ray Milland.

I'm looking forward to getting both of these sets at some point and seeing a couple "new" films while also revisiting old favorites. I highly recommend looking into buying, renting, or checking out these great groups of films. It's especially important to support classic DVD releases right now, given the current state of the economy and the DVD market.

Incidentally, Kate is having a giveaway contest for one of the sets at her blog Silents and Talkies!

Update: Reviews of THEODORA GOES WILD (1936), TOGETHER AGAIN (1944), and SHE WOULDN'T SAY YES (1945).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older