Saturday, January 16, 2010

Molasses Spice Cookies

It's been a fairly dark, overcast day with lots of rain on the way, so it seemed like the perfect afternoon to try a new cookie recipe.

I'm always interested in a good ginger or molasses cookie, so I chose Joanna Pruess's Molasses Spice Cookies from GREAT COOKIES by Carole Walter. (Click the title of this post for the Amazon link.) The actual cookie recipe can be found at Stylish Cuisine.

These cookies were quite tasty!


The cookies are a little different from other ginger or molasses recipes I frequently use in that they spread out as they cool and are fairly thin. It was also interesting that the recipe called for mixing the dough with a wooden spoon rather than a mixer, and for sifting the flour not once, not twice, but three times. Other than that, it was a simple recipe.

Like other molasses cookie recipes, these are said to freeze well.

Recommended!

Sunday Update: On Day 2, when they're no longer warm from the oven, these cookies remind me strongly of the Van de Kamp's molasses cookies I loved as a child. They were my maternal grandfather's favorite cookie and my grandmother always kept some in a jar for him.

7 Comments:

Blogger ligneus said...

O/T but I'm getting lonely being seemingly the sole commenter these days at Still Muttering.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi there! I was just visiting over at Anne's place today and plan to link to one of her posts later in the weekend. I'm delighted she's blogging regularly!

Thanks for stopping by,
Laura

7:46 PM  
Blogger ligneus said...

Thanks! And I shall visit your site more often. I used to do a fair bit of baking but too much else to do has put such activities on the back burner so to speak, maybe you will inspire me to start up again.

3:54 AM  
Blogger jau said...

YUM!!!!

(How strange to see the above exchange!! Glad to have you two in my corner, I must say.)

Best-
Anne

8:15 AM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

That looks very good. I love molasses spice cookies with crackly tops, so will be glad to try it. Thanks for posting.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope you'll enjoy these too! I've found them dangerously addictive (big grin).

Best wishes,
Laura

2:21 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Just as we're glad to have you in our corners, Anne! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older