Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Coming to DVD: The African Queen (1951)

THE AFRICAN QUEEN (1951) is coming to DVD at long last on March 23, 2010.

The restoration process described by DVD Times sounds fascinating:

"To ensure that the restored picture matched the filmmakers’ original vision, Paramount arranged a screening of an MPAA archive print for the film’s original cinematographer, Academy Award® winner Jack Cardiff, whose comments were recorded live during the screening. That same archival print was later screened alongside the newly restored version so that the restoration team could ensure that all of Cardiff’s notes had been addressed. The result is a vibrant, warm picture that reverentially recreates the film as it was originally meant to be seen."

Jack Cardiff passed away last April.

A documentary, EMBRACING CHAOS: MAKING THE AFRICAN QUEEN, will be among the extras.

A deluxe DVD set will also include the Lux Radio Theater broadcast and a reproduction of Katharine Hepburn's book THE MAKING OF THE AFRICAN QUEEN: OR HOW I WENT TO AFRICA WITH BOGART, BACALL AND HUSTON AND ALMOST LOST MY MIND.

Hepburn's book has been in my collection since it was first published in 1987. It's an absolutely wonderful piece of film history.

It's been a long wait for this film to come out on DVD, but it sounds like it's going to be a terrific release.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Finally!!!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Thank you so much for this information!

7:53 AM  
Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

Wow! I was snoozing on this one! I've been looking forward to this one so much, I can't believe it. I got the press release info in my inbox, but I've been teaching a new class that started last week, and I haven't been checking it of late. Thanks for the heads up! I've made amends to my readers and posted this info, No time for Sergeants (my granddad's favorite movie) and Dr. Zhivago. I've linked to your post! Thanks for being on your toes!
By the way, Hepburn's book was one of the first Film books I ever owned. African Queen was one of the first classic movies outside of Marx Brothers and the Thin Man I saw on my own and it cemented my love for classic films. My parents bought me the hardback edition for Christmas one year and I loved it. I need to try and locate it and dig it out.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're all very welcome! And thanks much for the link, J.C. :)

I suspect I received the book for Christmas, too, but don't remember for sure on that one...

Best wishes,
Laura

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older