Saturday, January 09, 2010

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Rupert discusses one of my favorite Jeanne Crain movies, MARGIE (1946), at Classic Movies Digest; click the title of this post for the link. What a shame that Fox has, at least for the present, stopped producing classic film DVDs. I dream of a Crain boxed set including APARTMENT FOR PEGGY (1948) and HOME IN INDIANA (1944).

...Disneyland prices just went up for the second time in a year. Ouch!

...Allure has a lovely, photo-filled profile of Ann Dvorak.

...This weekend UCLA has started a series of films on Billy the Kid and Jesse James. Susan King has more at the L.A. Times.

...Something very interesting is happening in the Senate race in Massachusetts. I'm far from counting any chickens here, but it's hard not to wishfully consider what a political earthquake it would be if Brown wins. Even if he doesn't, the fact that the race is so close in Massachusetts should be causing a number of Democrats in Congress to think twice about their future votes.

...Times are changing: the Los Angeles Times has shut down its printing operation here in Orange County.

...USA Today calls attention to new biographies of Grace Kelly (by Donald Spoto) and Clint Eastwood (by Marc Eliot)... A dear friend gave me Wendy Leigh's biography of Grace for Christmas which I look forward to reading soon!

...Raquelle has posted a recipe for Turkey and Wild Rice Casserole at Thoughtful Eating, with excellent step-by-step photos. It looks delicious!

...Christianity Today ran a very nice interview with Brit Hume, and there's more on this topic from Peter Wehner at National Review Online. Why do I have the feeling that if Brit had gently suggested that Tiger Woods might want to try Buddhism in order to turn his life around, those who are currently complaining wouldn't have batted an eye?

...Here's a preview of 2010 cookbooks. (Hat tip: Instapundit.) Most intriguing to me is PIG: KING OF THE SOUTHERN TABLE by James Villas. I love BISCUIT BLISS by the same author.

...LEAP YEAR (2010), mentioned here last weekend, didn't get very good reviews in some quarters, but an article at Big Hollywood has me thinking maybe I should go ahead and try it in a theater, rather than wait for Netflix...

...BETSY-TACY again! Here's a short travel article on related sites from a Minnesota paper.

...It looks like there's a good chance Coach Pete Carroll will leave the University of Southern California football team for an NFL job. Nooooooo!

...Movies I'd love to find: MOTHER IS A FRESHMAN (1949) with Loretta Young and Van Johnson -- which, like MARGIE and APARTMENT FOR PEGGY, was filmed on the campus of the University of Nevada at Reno...HOTEL FOR WOMEN (1939) with Linda Darnell, James Ellison, Ann Sothern, and Lynn Bari...MOTHER DIDN'T TELL ME (1950) with Dorothy McGuire as the bride of a doctor (William Lundigan)...ARISE, MY LOVE (1940) with Claudette Colbert and Ray Milland...THE CASE AGAINST MRS. AMES (1936) with Madeleine Carroll and George Brent (a vintage dealer has it for $19.90 -- wonder what the quality's like)...THE GILDED LILY (1935) with Claudette Colbert, Fred MacMurray, and Ray Milland. I could go on, but that's a good list for this week! I'd enjoy hearing impressions from anyone who has been able to see any of these films.

Have a great week!

3 Comments:

Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Thank you for the link to my recipe. I hope you try it out and enjoy it.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Leap Year when you do watch it. I heard some bad reviews too but I would like to hear your perspective.

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello again, Laura!

I happened to revisit this post last evening, and noticed your interest in a copy of THE CASE AGAINST MRS. AMES from VintageFilmBuff.com.

I've made several purchased from this dealer (MRS. AMES was not among them, but four Frances Dee films, and MISS SUSIE SLAGLE'S), and was very pleased, indeed, with the high quality of their service, and the print quality of the films.

MISS SUSIE looked a little bright, and the second half of THE STRANGE CASE OF CLARA DEANE (one of the Frances films) a little dark, but the images were always crisp and very watchable.

VintageFilmBuff.com is the very best source for rare titles in my estimation. I just received an e-mail announcing a sale they're holding: "If you enter the code MAY into the shopping cart as you check out, you will receive an additional 30% off of your purchase of every title. The discount is available on orders of $60.00 or more."

I hope this can be of some help to you.

Best always,
Carrie

9:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so very much, Carrie! I have printed out your comment as a reminder. I really appreciate hearing your firsthand experiences! I am now very likely to order THE CAST AGAINST MRS. AMES at some point. :)

It was nice to see, looking back at my own post, that since it was written I was able to record and watch ARISE, MY LOVE. Hopefully more of these hard-to-find titles will turn up...or maybe some are even at Vintage Film Buff.com.

Hope all is well with you, it's great to hear from you!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older