Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Herb Popovers

We had popovers with our dinner tonight. They're so good I thought I'd share the recipe here.


This recipe makes six large popovers.

Generously grease a popover pan with unsalted butter and preheat the oven to 375 degrees. (NOTE: I've found that even if it's a nonstick popover pan, the popovers tend to stick if I don't butter the pan well.)

Beat 3 large eggs on medium until frothy (less than 30 seconds).

Add 1 cup whole milk and 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter; beat a few more seconds.

Add 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon herbs de Provence; mix in.

Pour batter in popover pan and immediately bake for one hour. (NOTE: I have a Gemini double oven and cannot make these in the smaller top oven; they rise so high they hit the ceiling!)

After one hour pierce the side of each popover with a knife so steam can escape. Cook ten more minutes. Serve warm.


This recipe is adapted from Country Living's FLAVORS OF COUNTRY COOKING (2004).

The main course was Lime Chicken from the 2005 edition of Good Housekeeping's ROAST IT!, which is one of my most-used cookbooks.

3 Comments:

Blogger becca said...

Wow. Those look really good!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Those popovers look amazing! Now I wish I had a popover pan and a bigger oven. :-)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you both! They are addictive, I hope you get to try them sometime.

I've used Pyrex glass custard cups for popovers in a pinch, Raquelle, putting them on a cookie sheet...I have a set that were my grandmother's. The popovers come out shorter but fit a little better in a smaller oven (grin).

Best wishes,
Laura

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older