Saturday, February 20, 2010

Coming to DVD: The Barbara Stanwyck Collection

Great classic DVD news: the Universal Backlot DVD series continues with the release of the six-film Barbara Stanwyck Collection on April 27, 2010.

The films in the set will be: INTERNES CAN'T TAKE MONEY (1937), THE GREAT MAN'S LADY (1942), THE BRIDE WORE BOOTS (1946), THE LADY GAMBLES (1949), ALL I DESIRE (1953), and THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW (1956).

INTERNES CAN'T TAKE MONEY costars Joel McCrea in the first film featuring the character Dr. Kildare. Stanwyck and McCrea also star in THE GREAT MAN'S LADY, costarring Brian Donlevy.

THE BRIDE WORE BOOTS is a comedy with Robert Cummings, while THE LADY GAMBLES is a drama costarring Robert Preston.

ALL I DESIRE and THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW were both directed by Douglas Sirk. ALL I DESIRE also stars Richard Carlson and Maureen O'Sullivan, and THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW reunites Stanwyck with her costar from REMEMBER THE NIGHT (1940) and DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944), Fred MacMurray. Joan Bennett costars in the latter film.

According to an Amazon reviewer, the only extras will be trailers.

It's very encouraging that Universal is continuing to release quality "pressed" DVD sets with relatively obscure titles included.

The Universal Backlot series has been a real bright spot for classic DVD releases over the past year, with superb entries such as the Pre-Code Hollywood Collection, Claudette Colbert and Cecil B. DeMille's CLEOPATRA (1934), and the wonderful Claudette Colbert Collection, one of my favorite sets of the last couple years.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ginger Ingenue said...

Oh, this looks nice! Thanks for sharing; and thanks for including Barbara's co-stars for each film, too! :)

-- Saved me a trip to IMDB. ;)

2:05 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, Ginger! It looks like a great set, doesn't it?

Best wishes,
Laura

2:46 PM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

This is GREAT. I love "There's Always Tomorrow". I saw it on AMC back when AMC was still about old movies and no commercials. Not a happy story, but well acted by everyone. Also saw "All I Desire" on AMC and really enjoyed it. To my taste, "There's Always Tomorrow" is the gem in this collection.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

These titles are all new to me, so I'm delighted to hear some feedback on them -- especially positive feedback! (Ah, the good old days of AMC...) I'll definitely be getting this set; they did a really nice job on the Colbert set which I wrapped up viewing last night. I also enjoyed the last Barbara Stanwyck set from Warners, especially MY REPUTATION and EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older