Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Disneyland in Forty Pounds of Trouble (1962)

Al Lutz has a great article at MiceAge with screen captures of Disneyland as seen in the 1962 film 40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE.

The stills are fascinating, giving viewers a close-up look at Disneyland of the early '60s. There are some great shots of long-gone rides such as the old Mine Train ride and the Sky Buckets. It's also quite interesting how the film "mushes" some things together; for instance, the Peter Pan sailboats travel through Mr. Toad and Snow White.

40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE stars Tony Curtis and Suzanne Pleshette in a telling of Damon Runyon's LITTLE MISS MARKER, previously filmed with Adolphe Menjou in 1934 and remade in 1980 with Walter Matthau and Julie Andrews.

40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE has just been released on DVD-R as part of the Universal Vault Series, sold exclusively through Amazon.

The Universal Vault Series also includes the Tony Curtis film THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH. I haven't watched it yet, but the rest of my family caught it one evening while I was working and said the print quality was very good, though perhaps not perfect. A couple scenes I saw looked excellent.

2019 Update: Here's a review of 40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE, seen at the Hollywood Heritage Museum.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

This is one I've got to see soon; never knew this was filmed at Disneyland! Thanks for posting about it!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope you'll enjoy it, Tom! I've seen some of the clips online in the past and look forward to adding this to our Disney collection sometime this year.

Best wishes,
Laura

2:45 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

My family just watched this one this past weekend! Well, I admit, we sort of fast-forwarded to their arrival at Disneyland. My mom LOVED this, as this represents "her" Disneyland, the Disneyland she remembers best, from the mine train ride to the Carnation pirate ship, sky buckets, parking lot, etc. Great footage of Disneyland at that time. I'll have to sit down and watch teh whole thing at some point, but we really really enjoyed all the scenes filmed at Disneyland.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older