Sunday, April 11, 2010

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...One of my favorite character actors, Harry Morgan, turned 95 yesterday, April 10th. Sharilee at FilmPhiles posted a birthday tribute.

...Western reviews: Riding the High Country reviews THE RIVER'S EDGE (1957), starring Ray Milland, Debra Paget, and Anthony Quinn, while 50 Westerns From the 50s takes a look at Glenn Ford and Jeanne Crain in THE FASTEST GUN ALIVE (1956). (And thanks to Toby for the link...my comments don't seem to post at some WordPress blogs.)

...Coming next month, a must-have biography: Foxy Lady: The Authorized Biography of Lynn Bari by Jeff Gordon, published by Bear Manor Media.

...Gulp! THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1980) is thirty years old next month. Seeing that film for the first time was one of the most important movie experiences of my teen years. (My husband and I later realized we were at the same theater at the same time on opening day, although we wouldn't meet for two more years.) My mind was blown when my 18-year-old son recently borrowed our STAR WARS DVD set to show a group of friends...because most of them had never seen the original series!?!

...The New York Times recently ran a column by Pete Wells on the importance of food in the LITTLE HOUSE books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Never read these books on an empty stomach! Wells mentions Barbara Walker's THE LITTLE HOUSE COOKBOOK, which I have owned since childhood.

...I recently became acquainted with Goodfella's Movie Blog and enjoyed Dave's reviews of Max Ophuls' THE RECKLESS MOMENT (1949) and Robert Montgomery's RIDE THE PINK HORSE (1947). I'll be back to check out more reviews in the future.

...Moira Finnie introduced me to the SISSI movies, which I'd never heard of before reading her post. They are now in my Netflix queue!

...Also at TCM, Suzidoll paid tribute to Donna Reed, TCM's Star of the Month for May.

...Presidents who aren't really White Sox fans shouldn't pretend...real baseball fans can spot a phony a mile away.

...Mmmmmm: a recipe for cinnamon rolls from the Los Angeles Times Food section.

...This new book looks like fun for those of us of a certain age: RECORD STORE DAYS: FROM VINYL TO DIGITAL AND BACK AGAIN.

...Speaking of digital, since I love my iTouch I've followed reviews of the new iPad with some interest. At this point I can't quite see the "point" of an iPad, which seems like a cross between a laptop and a Kindle or an iTouch/iPhone. LiveScience has an interesting review titled "13 Glaring iPad Shortcomings." (Hat tip: Instapundit.)

...Laura Bush's memoir, SPOKEN FROM THE HEART, will be released on May 4th...just in time for Mother's Day gifts. Mrs. Bush is a very classy woman, and I'm looking forward to reading her book.

...Raquelle celebrates the Warner Archive DVD-R release of THEIR OWN DESIRE (1929), one of my very favorite Robert Montgomery-Norma Shearer films.

...This Chocolate Bar Brownie Pan from Williams-Sonoma looks interesting.

...More blog reviews of interest: LILLY TURNER (1933) at Movie Classics...IN THIS OUR LIFE (1942) at Classic Movies Digest...THE KILLER THAT STALKED NEW YORK (1950) reviewed by Sheila O'Malley at Noir of the Week...and WICHITA (1955) reviewed by John DiLeo at Screen Savers.

...I've written in the past about my onetime acquaintance with Julie Adams when I appeared in a bit part in a play in which she starred. Someone posted a photo on Twitter of her appearance at the Noir City Festival a few days ago. She looks great! She is now 83.

...And here's a report posted on the Egyptian Theatre Facebook page about the appearance of Rhonda Fleming and Richard Erdman at the festival. Fleming looks amazing.

...I was pleased to discover that Laura Wagner of Classic Images and Films of the Golden Age has started blogging; her blog is called And Then I Watched. She has two posts up so far, reviewing JUKE GIRL (1942) and GIRL OF THE NIGHT (1960). Laura is also the author of LET ME TELL YOU HOW I REALLY FEEL: THE UNCENSORED BOOK REVIEWS OF CLASSIC IMAGES' LAURA WAGNER, 2001-2010.

...Notable Passing: Shirley Mills, the child actress who played Ruthie Joad in John Ford's THE GRAPES OF WRATH (1940), has passed away at the age of 83.

...Other recent passings have been chronicled by Ivan at Thrilling Days of Yesteryear.

Have a good week!

7 Comments:

Blogger Colin said...

Hey, thanks for plugging my piece on The River's Edge, and for linking to my blog in your blogroll - I'll return the favour.

Colin

4:45 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, Colin, I've been enjoying your blog. Thank you for linking to me!

Best wishes,
Laura

5:47 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

I have also never heard of the Sissi Collection. I did a search of the county library system and much to my amazement they have the whole collection. I'm now 8th in line to get it :) Thanks.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

We've both got some interesting exploration ahead of something completely new, Irene! Glad you were able to find it so easily.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:27 PM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

I didn't think Sissi would have much audience in the USA. I used to rent German language movies from http://www.germanvideo.com/ and they have all Sissi movies plus lots in the "Heimat" genre. If you like German films or are studying german or both it's a great resource. (One thing I found is that German movies made during WW2 are just like American and British movies made at the same time. German movies also focus a lot on the eastern front which was their particular hell.) There are plenty of subtitled and english language films available. Great service too, I love to give them a plug.
Obama, the "White Sox fan": why do politicians pretend like that? Can't he just say "I prefer basketball." And why give an interview after throwing the ball -I wouldn't expect that from the president. Does the electorate really care which sport a president likes? If it's important to pretend, the the savvy politician should have a couple sports factoids memorized, then change the subject. It's like kissing babies - all fake but necessary to suck up with the voters. I only follow horse sports, so I'll never be a politician. Great Scott - I like polo! Not politically correct.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the info, Panavia! Very interesting. My two middle children are studying German (as did I in high school). I think my daughter would enjoy SISSI for the German-language aspect as well as the subject matter.

"Obama, the 'White Sox fan': why do politicians pretend like that? Can't he just say 'I prefer basketball.'"

Exactly! I think it must be in part the politician's desire to be all things to all people, and the fear of alienating the substantial number of people across the country who like baseball? Instead of just saying "Baseball isn't really my sport," he looks even worse by being a phony. (Hillary has been guilty of being a "baseball phony" as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were others in the past...) If you're going to claim allegiance to a team to the point of insisting on wearing their cap when throwing out the first pitch for another team (which I found an ungracious gesture -- you didn't see Bush #43 in a Rangers hat at Yankee Stadium!) -- well, then take the time to learn the names of some players too! LOL.

Best wishes,
Laura

5:35 PM  
Blogger monty said...

Hey Laura there is a cool article in the new Entertainment Weekly about the 30th anniversary of Empire Strikes Back. It's a good read and has never before seen photos. These are excerpts from an upcoming book about it this fall. Just wanted to let you know about it.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older