Friday, October 22, 2010

Tonight's Theater: South Pacific

If you're having deja vu, it's because yes, I just saw this show last week!

It was such a stunning production I simply had to see it one more time before it leaves town this weekend. I took my mom tonight, and she agreed it was one of the best shows she's ever seen. I enjoyed it every bit as much this week...it would be almost impossible not to have a marvelous time listening to that amazing score performed by such a talented cast.

The entire company is absolutely superb, but the biggest draw for my return was David Pittsinger, whose portrayal of Emile de Becque, according to one critic, "belongs in a museum." The same critic opined "There is simply not enough praise that can be showered on Pittsinger."

I agree wholeheartedly. "Some Enchanted Evening" is gorgeous, and Pittsinger's second act solo, "This Nearly Was Mine," is perhaps the single most exquisite, thrilling moment of musical theater I've ever experienced. The audience responded to both songs with thunderous applause.

Future stops on the tour are listed here. It's an absolute "must" for anyone who loves musical theater. It was a real splurge for me seeing it a second time, and I'm so glad I did!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older