Thursday, October 21, 2010

Coming to DVD: Colbert and MacMurray Romance Collection

A nice last-minute DVD surprise today from TCM: the announcement of the Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray Romantic Comedy Collection, coming on November 15th.

The set, available exclusively from TCM and Movies Unlimited, will feature three films starring regular costars Colbert and MacMurray: THE GILDED LILY (1935), THE BRIDE COMES HOME (1935), and FAMILY HONEYMOON (1949).

Just yesterday I updated my Quick Preview of TCM in December with the news that THE GILDED LILY had been substituted for FAMILY HONEYMOON on the schedule. I had mixed feelings, as I wanted to see FAMILY HONEYMOON, but have very much wanted to see THE GILDED LILY, which costars wonderful Ray Milland along with Colbert and MacMurray. With this set, Colbert, MacMurray, and Milland fans get both titles!

I'm also very interested in THE BRIDE COMES HOME, which costars Robert Young. Over the past couple years I've developed an increasing appreciation for both MacMurray and Young as I've viewed them in a broader range of roles than just the "father" parts for which they were so well known.

The set is a bit pricey, at $34.99 for three titles, but perhaps there will be a pre-Christmas sale...

I'll post cover art when it's available.

Update: Prospective purchasers of TCM Vault titles may want to be on the lookout for reviews of the picture quality...unfortunately the print of THE TARNISHED ANGELS included in the recent Douglas Sirk Collection is inferior to a Region 2 DVD release of the film in Spain, as screen captures posted at DVD Beaver clearly show.

That said, the Colbert-MacMurray films being released next month have been very hard to find, and hopefully more Paramount gems will be coming from TCM in 2011!

Update: Here are reviews of THE GILDED LILY and THE BRIDE COMES HOME.

2 Comments:

Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

I'm not familiar with these films so when I saw the announcement I was pleasantly surprised. I hope Classicflix will carry them for rental. I'd like to at least see them before I purchase.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Raquelle! The ClassicFlix site does indeed say they'll be available for rental.

They're all new to me so I'm very excited at the prospect of checking them out for the first time. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older