Monday, November 22, 2010

Fast Food Review: Five Guys Burgers and Fries

We started off Thanksgiving vacation week by visiting one of the new Five Guys Burgers and Fries restaurants which have recently opened in Southern California.

There are two locations in driving distance of our home; we visited the Cerritos restaurant. The other location is in Huntington Beach.

I liked the burger quite well; it was juicy and had a good flavor. In terms of taste, I'd say the burger compares more closely to Fatburger than an In-N-Out Burger.

Some of my kids were disappointed the buns have sesame seeds; I can take them or leave them, although if I have a choice I prefer them without.

We ordered one serving of the Five Guys Style Fries and one of the Cajun Fries. The fries have the skins on and are very well done, with some of them cooked quite crisply. I really liked the fries, but then I sometimes order my In-N-Out fries "well done."

Half of my family gave the fries a thumbs up; my son who loves spicy food was very enthusiastic about the Cajun Fries. The other half of the family didn't like the fries at all, pronouncing them too well-done, too dark, and too crispy. (All the things that I liked about them!)

My husband, who didn't care for the fries, did enjoy the free peanuts. :)

I don't think Five Guys could be a replacement for either In-N-Out Burger or Fatburger -- they each have distinct styles -- but taken on its own terms, I think the chain makes a fine addition to the burger scene in Southern California.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rick Moore said...

There's one in Orange too (Katella and Tustin). At there a couple of weeks ago - our second visit to a Five Guys. Big fan - like it much better than In-and-Out. My wife too. Probably a good thing it's not closer to Mission Viejo or I'd weigh 800 pounds.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the tip on the other location! I agree, it's probably not a bad thing that a drive of some distance is required for us to visit any of their locations (grin).

Best wishes,
Laura

9:36 PM  
Blogger Ed South said...

I remember you commenting on my blog over a year ago that you were looking forward to sampling Five Guys. Welcome aboard!

Out here the cajun fries are kind of a rip off because they are essentually fries covered in Old Bay (crab seasoning). Out here we put Old Bay on just about everything. If there's a shaker of Old Bay around, 99 out of 100 Marylanders will put it on their fries...or whatever else they are eating. We loves us some Old Bay!

4:14 AM  
Blogger DKoren said...

I see one will be opening out here sort of near me in Redlands at some point. I may have to try them. Unfortunately, I have a wheat allergy, so that means no buns, which kind of ruins the point of a good hamburger, but still... the rest of the family can enjoy!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

That's interesting background on the fries, Ed! Had no idea. I'm glad we finally got to try Five Guys!

DKoren, I graduated from the University of Redlands. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

8:02 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

I got to try Five Guys for the first time this year (and Chick-fil-A). I agree with the side of your family that did not like the fries, but the burgers are decent. Fortunately for me, even though Five Guys has opened several locations, the two closest are 20 minutes away in opposite directions. So I don't go very often.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

My family loves Five Guys and we have a few that are close to us. We don't have your other burger chains, and they beat McDonald's and Burger King by miles. We did get a Sonic recently on the other side of town from us, but I wasn't impressed at all by their burgers.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older