Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Congratulations to Kate and William

Happy news from London today: the long-awaited announcement of the engagement of Prince William of Wales to Kate Middleton.

They gave a TV interview to mark the occasion.

William gave Kate his mother Diana's famous sapphire engagement ring -- a touching gesture, and perhaps also rather bittersweet given how things turned out for his parents. (I actually saw the ring, over 20 years ago, when I photographed Princess Diana attending an event in London.) It's a bit sobering for those of us who watched Charles and Diana's wedding to realize that when their son marries next year, three decades will have passed since July 29, 1981.

I hope William and Kate will enjoy a long, very happy marriage.

6 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

They do make a striking couple and the dress she chose to wear compliments the ring :)

She comes across as much more confident and sure of herself than Diana did when she got engaged. As Diana matured she gained confidence but by then it was too late.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I think you're right on all counts, Irene. Hope Kate is better situated for her new role, and hopefully the royal family has also learned from the past.

Best wishes,
Laura

7:14 PM  
Blogger JavaBeanRush said...

I knew that Prince William's name was trending the other day for some reason. I fell asleep before I could find out why.

They seem like a solid enough couple.

Better dust off my copy of ROYAL WEDDING - a movie which capitalizes on his grandmother's nuptials. :)


-- Java

12:51 PM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

Well, with the celebrity watching vampires watching their every move, they'll need good luck.
I don't get the fascination with royal mating habits.
Prince Philip's legendary gaffes and sense of humour make him a much more interesting person.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I haven't watched ROYAL WEDDING in a long time -- good idea. :)

I agree they'll need help, Panavia!

For me the interest is part of my overall love for history -- I enjoy reading about the British monarchy through the centuries, particularly the Victorian era, and it's interesting to see the family tree develop further. Thanks to Victoria, most of today's European royals are related, and those family connections stretching back through the generations add to my interest.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:32 AM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

Perhaps I should clarify. Not so long ago, royal alliances could impact the world stage. That was interesting history. Now a days, despite the cluttered pedigrees resulting from Victoria's fecundity, it's just celebrity watching.
The current generations of royals will not make the kind of history possible in the old days. A couple huge wars, deposings and removal of powers took care of that.
At any rate, to paraphrase Mel Brooks, "it's good to be the Queen!"

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older