Saturday, November 13, 2010

Warner Archive News

The Warner Archive is having an excellent sale this weekend, with 1/3 off the price of most movies, other than brand-new releases. As an added bonus, there's free shipping. The sale ends November 15th.

I see a copy of EXPERIMENT PERILOUS (1944) in my future...

Although it's not on sale, the Archive just released a title which is very high on the wish lists of many classic film fans: the delightful BACHELOR MOTHER (1939), starring Ginger Rogers and David Niven. This is a movie which improves on each viewing, and it's perfect holiday film fare.

Another new holiday film in the catalogue is SUSAN SLEPT HERE (1954), which I saw for the first time last Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed. It's worth seeing if only for the fabulous '50s set design! Dick Powell and Debbie Reynolds carry off what might otherwise have been a tricky plotline with great charm. Best of all, the Archive site indicates this title has been newly remastered. Like BACHELOR MOTHER, this brand-new release is one of a few films not on sale.

For good measure, PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE (1952) was just released. Perfect for November movie viewing.

The Archive has done an excellent job with the cover artwork for all three films -- a very nice change of pace from the bland blue cases used for the earliest Archive releases.

4 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to write up posts like these! I would never have known about the sale otherwise! I just bought myself "Force of Arms," a William Holden movie I've always wanted to see.

11:11 AM  
Blogger A said...

Thanks for the headsup!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm absolutely delighted to learn that this post was helpful! Hope you enjoy FORCE OF ARMS. I think that's the only Holden-Olson teaming I haven't seen yet so I'd like to see it myself at some point.

Just placed my order for EXPERIMENT PERILOUS -- I loved it when I saw it at the Noir City Film Festival last spring and would like to see it again, as well as share it with members of the family who weren't there that evening.

Best wishes,
Laura

11:32 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, Amanda! Hope you find something good for your collection. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older