Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A New Jane Eyre

Since I just watched the 1971 version of JANE EYRE last week, I was intrigued to learn there's a new adaptation coming to theaters in Spring 2011.

This latest version stars Mia Wasikowska in the title role. I'd never heard of her, but it turns out that she played the title role in Tim Burton's ALICE IN WONDERLAND earlier this year.

Michael Fassbender (BAND OF BROTHERS) plays Mr. Rochester, with Judi Dench as his housekeeper, Mrs. Fairfax.

The trailer featured here is downright creepy; this film version looks as though it will play up the more horrific elements, and Jane's plain appearance is also strongly emphasized.

More details on the remake were posted last summer here.

There are a couple interesting EYRE-related posts I've come across recently: Java's Journey takes a look at the short 1934 version starring Virginia Bruce, Colin Clive, and Edith Fellows, while Cinema OCD has an exhaustive rundown of Janes and Rochesters through the years, with an especially good look at the Welles version and amusing analysis of the Rochester character.

Speaking of JANE EYRE, it didn't occur to me until a couple days after watching the George C. Scott and Susannah York version that in 1984 they were reunited in another superb TV-movie, A CHRISTMAS CAROL. Scott, of course, played Scrooge, and York played Mrs. Cratchit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Just a warning. When I went to the site to watch the new trailer (FirstShowing.net), the first time the trailer did not appear. So I clicked on the words in green "new trailer". This link has apparently been hijacked to a false virus warning, possibly extortion ware. With my husbands help I was able to stop its running and we ran a safety check and all is well. Suggestion - make sure your system is up to date from Microsoft, Flash and Anti-virus.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks...it's working normally for me this evening. Wonder what happened...haven't had problems at the First Showing site before. But it never hurts to make sure safeguards are up to date!

Best wishes,
Laura

6:17 PM  
Blogger JavaBeanRush said...

Thanks for the mention, Laura.

A rash of remakes.
First My Fair Lady, then the 3 or 4 remakes of The Wizard of Oz, now Jane Eyre. I think there's even a reboot of the reboot of the Spiderman legacy.

I love Judi Dench's performances - very strong.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older