Thursday, March 03, 2011

The UCLA Festival of Preservation

The 2011 UCLA Festival of Preservation begins today at the Billy Wilder Theater in Los Angeles.

Leonard Maltin and Kenneth Turan have written articles filled with information on the varied titles to be shown this month.

I'm very happy that I have tickets to two of this month's screenings.

First I'll be attending CRY DANGER (1951), a Dick Powell noir I've wanted to see very much, and what's even better is that two cast members, Rhonda Fleming (who helped fund the restoration, along with the Film Noir Foundation) and Richard Erdman, will attend in person. The film will be introduced by Alan K. Rode.

Later in the month I'll be seeing Cecil B. DeMille's THE CRUSADES (1935), starring Loretta Young and Henry Wilcoxon. Loretta is one of my favorite actresses, and since I thoroughly enjoyed seeing DeMille's CLEOPATRA (1934) and THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956) on the big screen, I'm really looking forward to this.

The restoration was funded by the DeMille Foundation.

If anyone in the Southern California area has the time to attend SLEEP, MY LOVE (1948) this Saturday night, it's worth seeing. I wish I had the time available to go see it!

The festival schedule is here.

Update: Reviews have now been posted for CRY DANGER (1951) and THE CRUSADES (1935).

4 Comments:

Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Hi, Laura
I work at UCLA and have been enjoying the treasure trove of classic films from the UCLA Film and Television Archive for years. So much of this old footage is fragile and close to disintegrating. I'm proud of the amazing work the Archive does to restore and preserve these wonderful movies, a vital part of our history. Enjoy the festival (I'm still trying to get use to the pink interior of the Wilder Theater - I miss the Archive's former home at Melnitz Hall!).
Jane

11:40 PM  
Blogger Kevin Deany said...

What a mouth watering line-up. I've never even heard of "Strangers in the Night." Sounds wonderful.

Enjoy "The Crusaders," it's a most entertaining movie. Lousy history, but splendid entertainment

12:42 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm a bit late catching up on some comments -- busy week!

Jane, how neat to know you work at UCLA! I attended some films at UCLA when I was growing up -- I remember seeing IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE at Royce Hall -- but haven't been there for many, many years. I hope to be able to attend more films in the future. They do great work restoring films at UCLA.

Thanks for the thumbs up on THE CRUSADES, Kevin! I won't go in with any expectation the film will match up with what I know of history, LOL.

There's not a complete schedule posted yet, but STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT will also be shown at the Noir City Festival in Los Angeles next month...perhaps I'll have a chance to see it there.

Fingers crossed gas prices head back down soon or my trips from Orange County to L.A. may have to be somewhat curtailed! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

10:07 PM  
Blogger Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

It's been an eternity since I've seen The Crusades (on--where else?--AMC) but I remember it being a pretty entertaining little flick. Cry Danger is the one that I'd love to see on a big screen given the chance, though -- it's one of my favorite Dick Powell movies and has a first-rate supporting performance by Richard Erdman as Powell's buddy, who's a bit fond of the grape. I love his classic response to the woman who asks him why he's started drinking before the sun is over the yardarm: "Listen, gal--when you drink as much as I do you gotta start early." Every time I see Erdman on NBC's Community (he has a recurring role on there as a cantankerous old fart named Leonard) that line runs through my head.

3:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older