Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New on CD: Classic Film Scores Series

When my husband and I were teenagers we collected a significant number of "Classic Film Scores" albums with Charles Gerhardt conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra. (When I discovered my then future husband had his own collection, that was a good tipoff he might be the right guy for me!) My collection included recordings of music by Korngold, Steiner, Herrmann, Tiomkin, Rosza, Raksin, and more. A picture of one of the original LP covers is seen here at the left.

Some of the albums, such as CAPTAIN BLOOD: CLASSIC FILM SCORES FOR ERROL FLYNN and THE SEA HAWK: THE CLASSIC FILM SCORES OF ERICH WOLFGANG KORNGOLD, were released on CD in the early '90s.

I was delighted to discover that a significant number of these collections were re-released on CD last month, and some were also released last fall. For what it's worth, one Amazon customer review indicates this series is of higher sound quality than the '90s versions. (Update: Be sure to catch Al Lutz's knowledgeable response to the reviewer, indicating "Sony's reissues use the same critically acclaimed RCA Victor Dolby Surround CD masters" as the previous CD releases. There's more info at the link. Thanks to Al -- better known to Disney fans as the proprietor of MiceAge -- for passing on the info!)

One of my favorites in the series is CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE: THE CLASSIC FILM SCORES OF ALFRED NEWMAN. It includes Newman's famous "Street Scene," which was used in numerous Fox films (more here), Cathy's theme from WUTHERING HEIGHTS, and suites from THE SONG OF BERNADETTE, THE ROBE, and of course CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE. The latter includes the stirring "Conquest" march which was later donated by Newman to USC as its fight song. I bought the CD last week so I could enjoy listening to it in my car on my numerous recent trips to Los Angeles.

Some of the other recordings I own on LP are LOST HORIZON: THE CLASSIC FILM SCORES OF DIMITRI TIOMKIN, NOW VOYAGER: THE CLASSIC FILM SCORES OF MAX STEINER, CASABLANCA: CLASSIC FILM SCORES FOR HUMPHREY BOGART, and GONE WITH THE WIND.

One of the other titles in the series features David Raksin conducting his own scores for LAURA, FOREVER AMBER, and THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

I'll probably gradually pick up the CD versions so I can load them in my iPod and play them while on the go.

There are several more titles in the series. All are highly recommended to those who love classic film music.

5 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

Yes!!! My dad had the Captain Blood record as well as the Captain from Castile... and I made a tape of each and listened to them all the time! Particularly the Captain from Castile album. I've been wanting to snag that CD since I saw it come out, but have not done so yet. This is a good reminder to go grab it!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

So glad you know this series too!! Glad you added your endorsement, hopefully those who are new to these recordings will try one out. :)

The CASTILE album has such stirring music...besides the title track, I especially love the theme from THE BRAVADOS and the hornpipe from DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS.

Enjoy!!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:08 PM  
Blogger DKoren said...

The theme from The Bravados was one of my absolute favorites growing up! Just reading the title makes me start hearing it in my head. Love love love that one. But like you said -- the whole album is great!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Kevin Deany said...

One of the greatest series of recordings ever, bar none, hands down. After the original performances, several of these offer some of the best performances of these pieces, such as Bernard Herrmann's Concerto Macabre from "Hangover Square" and Korngold's Cello Concerto from "Deception."

Just some of the greatest music of the 20th century and no, I'm not exaggerating. I can remember listening to these growing up and thinking how great it would be to hear some of this music played live. Now, film music concerts are much more common than they used to be.

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra has a regular film music series and at one of them they opened with the Conquest march from "Captain from Castile." It was great. I've been to several of them, and based on audience response, I would say Franz Waxman's "Ride to Dubno" from "Taras Bulba" was a particular favorite. Talk about a showpiece for the orchestra!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Kevin, thanks so much for adding your comments about this series, and also for mentioning the recordings you like best.

I definitely agree with you about it being some of the greatest music of the 20th century -- I particularly think that every time I watch or listen to THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. Korngold's music is simply brilliant.

We very much enjoyed a TCM concert of film music last fall at the Hollywood Bowl. I've occasionally seen other film music performed over the years, particularly (no surprise here) at Bowl concerts conducted by John Williams. I'd love to attend more in the future!

Best wishes,
Laura

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older