Monday, August 22, 2011

Great Film Directors Stamp: Billy Wilder

I'd guessed that the final director to be named in the four-stamp Great Film Directors series would be William Wyler, but as it turned out, Tom of Motion Picture Gems guessed correctly in a comment last week: the final honoree is Billy Wilder!

The announcement was made today. Visit Beyond the Perf for additional details on the Wilder stamp, which includes an image paying tribute to SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959).

Billy Wilder is, of course, an excellent choice, as he directed films including THE LOST WEEKEND (1945), SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950), STALAG 17 (1953), SABRINA (1954), WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION (1957), and THE APARTMENT (1960), to name just a handful. He also wrote many other classic films.

I do still think Wyler's remarkable string of four-star classics makes him deserving of the honor as well: DODSWORTH (1936), WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1939), THE LETTER (1940), MRS. MINIVER (1942), THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946), THE HEIRESS (1949), ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953), THE BIG COUNTRY (1958), and BEN-HUR (1959) are just some of Wyler's outstanding films.

The release date for the Great Film Directors series has not yet been announced.

Previously: Great Film Directors Stamps: Capra, Huston; John Ford Honored With Stamp.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

I like the stamp! They did a really nice job. In the Major League series, I'm going to predict Ted Williams will be the next player honored. :)

8:35 PM  
Blogger Jim Lane said...

Can't say I quibble with the four directors the USPS chose, nor would I care to listen to anyone who would. But I think you're right that William Wyler ought to be in there somewhere; maybe five or six slots were called for. At Cinedrome last year, starting here, I tried to make the case for Wyler as "the Babe Ruth, the Wilt Chamberlain, the Muhammad Ali of movie directors." I hope you'll give it a look when you have time.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'll be checking to see if you can build on your track record of predictions, Tom! :)

Thanks so much for the link, Jim, I've bookmarked your piece on Wyler and will definitely be reading it. I have great admiration for Wyler, and I'm sure I'll enjoy your post(s).

Best wishes,
Laura

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older