Friday, September 13, 2013

Today at Disneyland: Halloween Time 2013

My husband and I made a short trip to Disneyland tonight for the start of this year's Halloween Time celebrations.


In a repeat of a visit we made last year, we parked at Downtown Disney and took the Monorail into the park for dinner and the chance to enjoy the seasonal decorations.


It's a good thing we only planned a brief trip, as while business was bustling during our time in the park, things apparently got rather crazy shortly after we left!


Since the start of Halloween Time coincided with Friday the 13th, Disney created a special "Unleash the Villains!" event, with the park open till 1:00 a.m. (the "13th hour") and unusual entertainment such as a "Villainy in the Sky" fireworks show and dance floors set up on the tracks at the Main Street and New Orleans train stations.


The park got very, very busy, with traffic jams coming off the freeway, massive crowds, and shortages of special Halloween-themed food items.


It sounds as though "Unleash the Villains!" came close to matching the chaos of the "One More Disney Day" Leap Year event in 2012.


There are lots of photos of the party at MouseInfo.


Above is one small section of the elaborately decorated Fortuosity Shop on Main Street.


Before leaving this visit, a couple of the Main Street U.S.A windows paying tribute to some of the all-time great Disney artists:


This fall the legendary Tony Baxter, who recently retired, will become the latest Imagineer to be honored with a window.


I highly recommend the little book WINDOWS ON MAIN STREET which provides the back stories for the remarkable people behind the windows.

Previous Halloween Time Posts and Photos: September 29, 2006, September 30, 2006, October 21, 2006, September 28, 2007, October 12, 2007, October 17, 2008, October 9, 2009, October 15, 2010, plus the 2011 Annual Passholder Private Party (October 17, 2011); and October 21, 2012.

3 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

My daughter and I made a trip for this villain event and it was a mess! I really didn't know they were going to make it a dance party! Crazy. And there were no "lines" to see villains - it was just a mob. We went earlier in the day which was good and enjoyed that part. The evening and trying to get back to our car, not so much.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

I hardly ever stop to comment on your Disneyland visits but I certainly do read them all and just love them! Being so far away seeing this is on my bucket list and so I live vicariously through these posts. You're the best tour guide!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Irene! So sorry you got caught up in the mob scene. I had read a little bit about the event but the dance party hadn't registered with me, and even if it had I don't think I would have anticipated the craziness which seems to have ensued!

Kristina, that's so nice of you to let me know that! I love sharing photos and info on my "happy place." Perhaps one day we can meet there in person!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older