Monday, January 26, 2015

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Turner Classic Movies officially announced Jennifer Dorian as the channel's new GM, as well as the promotion of Genevieve McGillicuddy. Will McKinley offers analysis at Cinematically Insane.

...It's been a busy few days at TCM, where it was also announced that Oscar-winning actress Sally Field will cohost the next season of the Saturday evening "Essentials" franchise. Here's more from USA Today.

...A previously "lost" film starring Harry Houdini, THE GRIM GAME (1919), has been added to the lineup of this spring's TCM Classic Film Festival.

...Please visit ClassicFlix for my latest column, a tribute to actress Claudette Colbert.

...Kristina's got terrific photo galleries of Joan Taylor and Randolph Scott at Speakeasy.

...Also at Speakeasy: Kristina collaborates with Mike from Mike's Take on the Movies for a new video, "Film Books We Rely On, Volume 3." This series is really fun, and I always end up searching Amazon for used books after watching their latest installment!

...Here's a fun post by Phoebe Green at Shadowplay showing that the same style of water glass was used in half a dozen scenes in 42ND STREET (1933).

...New at the Film Noir Foundation's video archives, an interview with Barbara Hale filmed in 2014. I haven't had time to watch it yet and really look forward to it.

...Speaking of the Film Noir Foundation, Kim has a report at I See a Dark Theater on attending part of last week's Noir City San Francisco Festival.

...FORCE OF ARMS (1951), starring William Holden and Nancy Olson, was one of the top runners-up to make my list of Favorite Discoveries of 2014. Watching this lovely tribute video to the movie, I wonder if it should have made the top 12! What a wonderful movie.

...Coming from the Criterion Collection this April, a new Eclipse set, "Silent Ozu: Three Crime Dramas."

...Ozu's AN AUTUMN AFTERNOON (1962) is coming out on Blu-ray from Criterion next month. DVD Beaver has a review. I bought this one on DVD not long ago and really look forward to watching it.

...Here's another great "Favorite Discoveries" list at Rupert Pupkin Speaks, this time from The Nitrate Diva.

...If you're snowed in this week, how about making Nigella Lawson's vanilla fudge? Looks amazing...

...THE DAWN OF TECHNICOLOR 1915-1935, by James Layton and David Pierce, sounds like a fascinating history. Carley Johnson has an advance review at The Black Maria.

...Greenbriar Picture Shows has terrific stills from the Robert Taylor film THE POWER AND THE PRIZE (1956).

...The South Dakota State Historical Society Press can't keep up with orders for the annotated edition of the Laura Ingalls Wilder autobiography PIONEER GIRL, published last month. The editor is Pamela Smith Hill. I have an older edition. (Update: Actually, I was reminded today that the older PIONEER GIRL is a biography...but I did read the PIONEER GIRL manuscript over two decades ago. I'm fuzzy now on exactly how I obtained it!)

...For those who live in or plan to visit North Carolina, an exhibit of DOWNTON ABBEY costumes, "Dressing Downton," will run at the Biltmore House from February 5 to May 25, 2015.

...Attention Southern Californians: This Friday at the Aero, a 75th Anniversary screening of FANTASIA (1940). It's also the Aero's 75th anniversary year.

...Notable Passings: Assistant director and production manager Richard McWhorter has passed away at the age of 100. He worked on many notable productions...Actor-Editor Frank Mazzola, who appeared onscreen in two James Dean films, has died at 79...Rush Limbaugh's longtime "Chief of Staff," nicknamed H.R., has passed away at the age of 57. Christopher "Kit" Carson had battled brain cancer for four years...The great baseball player Ernie Banks has died a week short of turning 84. His joyous "Let's play two!" is one of the great lines of all baseball history.

Have a great week!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristina said...

Thanks Laura for the kind mentions, though it sounds like our videos are not being too kind to your wallet :)

Your Colbert piece is very nice, all good picks but I really love when So Proudly We Hail gets recognition--excellent war picture. You know you're in a classic movie family when The Two Mrs. Grenvilles was a HUGE deal!

Best!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Thanks for the great tips. I think I'll make that fudge and watch Barbara Hale.

1:48 PM  
Blogger KC said...

I ordered Pioneer Girl as Christmas presents for my mom and mother-in-law in OCTOBER and they're just now sending them. Crazy. I'm so happy the book has been such a huge success for them!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Kristina, I'm hoping to order the Everson book later this week! LOL. Thanks so much for the kind feedback on my Claudette Colbert piece. I agree about SO PROUDLY WE HAIL -- such a very fine film.

Caftan Woman, wish I could enjoy some of that fudge with you! :)

KC, that's amazing it's taking so long! I realized my other book by that title is not the same thing and am amending my post, but I know I did read PIONEER GIRL -- I think now that a friend got access to the manuscript for study purposes and sent me a Xerox. I have to comb through my LIW papers as my memory has become fuzzy on this -- it was over 20 years ago.

Best wishes,
Laura

12:02 AM  
Blogger Mike's Take on the Movies said...

Hello and thanks for giving Kristina and myself a spotlight. The videos are fun and with Kristina directing who knows how far we can go. :)

4:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're so welcome, Mike! I'm looking forward to more videos in the future. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older