Monday, January 13, 2020

92nd Annual Academy Award Nominations

The 92nd annual Academy Award nominations were announced this morning.

The complete list was published by The Hollywood Reporter.

I've seen two of the Best Picture nominations, LITTLE WOMEN (2019) and FORD V FERRARI (2019).

Saoirse Ronan and Florence Pugh received Best Actress and Supporting Actress nominations, respectively, for LITTLE WOMEN, both of which I thought were well deserved. I was somewhat surprised Christian Bale did not receive a nomination for FORD V FERRARI.

Greta Gerwig received a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination for LITTLE WOMEN, which is somewhat ironic given the issues I had with the film's lack of character and relationship development, but she did try something bold and different with the non-linear structure so it's understandable. Curiously, given the film's other nominations, she did not receive a nomination for Best Director.

The category which is usually of greatest interest to me, Animated Feature, deservedly gave TOY STORY 4 (2019) a nomination yet rather inexplicably omitted FROZEN II (2019).

But then so much about the Oscars tends to be hard to understand, which is why once again this will likely be the end of this year's Oscar commentary from me. From this point I'll mostly ignore the whole thing, as I have for years. On Oscar night I'll be celebrating my love for movies by...watching a movie!

The Oscars award ceremony will be take place on February 9th, 2020.

Previous Oscar nomination posts: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. There was no Oscar post in 2009.

7 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

It was easier to give up award shows than I would have thought given my youthful devotion to such things.

I enjoyed reading your take on the state of things. I, as well, want to know what is happening in the animation category.

The real joy will come in selecting what movie/movies to watch on Oscar night. I am giddy at the thought.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

I gave up on the Oscars quite some times ago. Got too political for my taste plus I hardly ever saw any of the movies nominated. I think the last one I got really involved in was the year "The Artist" won for best picture. I really liked that film. So like you, I will also be giving it a pass. I may look at photos of the dresses :)

4:38 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you, Caftan Woman! Like you I never missed the Oscars years ago, but it's simply not anything I want to invest valuable time on anymore -- even the memorial reel is consistently bungled. My daughter almost has to watch, as she works in the business, so I will just await her text with the Animated winner LOL...and join you in enjoying a movie or so that night!

Irene, interesting that you're another who gives the show a pass. The relentless politicization is yet another reason I tired of it. I just wanna enjoy movies! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

11:09 PM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

I think I gave up on the Oscars in the last century. Wow, that sounds old. But even if I had been still watching the last couple of years, I would have given up now because every silly "celebrity" feels the need to preach from the pulpit.

For everybody who's had enough of that, I recommend the intro to the Golden Globes 2020. (Not the rest of the show though). Ricky Gervais is my new hero.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, Margot! We've got a nice "no Oscars" club building here! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

11:46 PM  
Blogger mel said...

I may as well join the club. I was an avid follower of aal the Academy Award nominations and winners from the begining, but by interest tapered off around the early 1980s, after which I ignored them - unless my attention was drawn to certain nominations, e.g. LA LA LAND, which I hated, and GREEN BOOK, which I loved.

3:28 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I guess there are a lot of us, Mel!

The day may come when I don't even do the obligatory post calling attention to the nominations (grin). To this point I've continued to do it as a service for those who might like to look over the list. We'll see.

I still need to catch up with GREEN BOOK!

Best wishes,
Laura

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older