Saturday, August 28, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Flicker Alley has announced a really interesting Blu-ray set scheduled for release this fall: IN THE SHADOW OF HOLLYWOOD: HIGHLIGHTS FROM POVERTY ROW. It features four films: MIDNIGHT (also known as CALL IT MURDER) (1934) with Sidney Fox, Humphrey Bogart, and O.P. Heggie; BACK PAGE (1934) with Peggy Shannon; WOMAN IN THE DARK (1934) with Fay Wray and Ralph Bellamy; and THE CRIME OF DR. CRESPI (1935) starring Erich von Stroheim. As I read the list I was thinking these are the types of films I miss seeing at UCLA or Cinecon -- and what do you know, THE CRIME OF DR. CRESPI has a commentary track by Jan-Christopher Horak, who recently retired as the head of the UCLA Film & Television Archive. I hope to review this set later this year.

...William Randolph Hearst's former Beverly Hills estate has just sold for $47 million. The New York Post has photos.

...Coming in November from TCM and Running Press: HOLLYWOOD VICTORY: THE MOVIES, STARS AND STORIES OF WORLD WAR II by Christian Blauvelt.

...Speaking of upcoming books, Raquel Stecher's "New and Upcoming Classic Film Books" posts are always of great interest, and her latest list is now available! A joint memoir by Ron and Clint Howard, THE BOYS: A MEMOIR OF HOLLYWOOD AND FAMILY, sounds like a "must read."  I'm intrigued by a few other titles as well. Incidentally, I'll be reviewing Scott Eyman's book on 20th Century-Fox.

...Glenn Erickson's latest CineSavant reviews include the new Kino Lorber Blu-ray release of UNION PACIFIC (1939)...At Watching Classic Movies, KC has reviewed the Warner Archive's I WOULDN'T BE IN YOUR SHOES (1948)...Caftan Woman takes a look at BRIGADOON (1954) for the 5th Annual Van Johnson Blogathon...The Van Johnson Blogathon's hostess, Michaela of Love Letters to Old Hollywood, discusses "Six Underrated Van Johnson Films." I liked the four I've seen...Jocelyn of Classic Film Observations and Obsessions reviews the wonderful film A CANTERBURY TALE (1944) (with Sheila Sim, seen here) as part of her ongoing "50 Years of Film in 50 Weeks" project...At Classic Movie Hub, Danilo Castro has reviewed Robert Mitchum and Faith Domergue in WHERE DANGER LIVES (1950).

...The "Pioneer Woman," Ree Drummond, will star with longtime soap actor John McCook in the movie CANDY COATED CHRISTMAS (2021) for the Discovery+ streaming service.

...Kimberly Williams-Paisley and Ashley Williams discuss their upcoming pair of Hallmark Christmas movies with People. The real-life sisters plays sisters in the movies, which will have interconnected stories taking place simultaneously.

...Notable Passings: Longtime ALL MY CHILDREN star Michael Nader, who also played "Dex" Dexter on DYNASTY in the '80s, has passed away at 76...I was sorry to learn from the Boot Hill obituary site that film historian Scott Allen Nollen has died at 58. I reviewed his book THREE BAD MEN: JOHN FORD, JOHN WAYNE, WARD BOND in 2013. His other titles included biographies of Glenda Farrell, Takashi Shimura, and Chester Morris. I corresponded with him periodically over the years, most recently 18 months ago, and found him a very nice gentleman. My condolences to his family.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my August 21st roundup.

4 Comments:

Blogger Seth said...

Nice roundup. Thanks for the tip on the new TCM book and also the link to underrated Van Johnson films. I've only seen MOTHER IS A FRESHMAN, which I enjoyed; now there are several other titles I'd like to seek out.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks very much, Seth! I like MOTHER IS A FRESHMAN also. One of several late '40s/early '50s films shot on location at the University of Nevada at Reno. DUCHESS OF IDAHO, also on the underrated Johnson list, is one of my favorite Esther Williams movies.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:57 AM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Thanks for the shout-out to Brigadoon. I find the movie and the lovely L&L music soothing to the soul.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I agree about BRIGADOON, Caftan Woman. I enjoyed revisiting my memories of both thanks to your piece on the film.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older