Saturday, November 06, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Kino Lorber has confirmed January 4th release dates for several Blu-rays recently, including RICH AND STRANGE (1931), THE CRIME OF THE CENTURY (1933), DOUBLE DOOR (1934), GOLDEN EARRINGS (1947), ALL MY SONS (1948), and SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL (1959). All have new extras.

...WONDER WOMAN'S Gal Gadot may be playing the Evil Queen in a new Disney live-action version of SNOW WHITE.

...My friend Theresa will be hosting a blogathon in January at her site CineMaven's Essays From the Couch. The "Umpteenth Blogathon," focusing on favorite movies to watch...and watch again...will take place January 18th.


...Aurora has reviewed the new Flicker Alley set In the Shadow of Hollywood: Highlights From Poverty Row at her blog Once Upon a Screen. I'll be reviewing it at a future date!

...CineSavant Glenn Erickson reviews the new Warner Archive Blu-ray release of THE NAKED SPUR (1953) at Trailers From Hell...KC reviews the Warner Archive's Blu-ray of THE WINDOW (1949) at Watching Classic Movies...Tynan reviews Glenn Ford and Janis Carter in FRAMED (1947) at 4 Star Films...Vienna wrote about ALIAS NICK BEAL (1949) at Vienna's Classic Hollywood, paying special attention to character actor Douglas Spencer. I just saw him again in NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES (1948) at the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Fest...and Colin reviews Rory Calhoun in UTAH BLAINE (1957) at Riding the High Country. I liked that one too!

...Ruth of Silver Screenings takes a look at "The Culinary Side of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE."

...Disney fans might be interested in these adorable Mickey Mouse holiday designs for Pyrex glass food storage containers.

...John Bengtson takes a look at the L.A. locations for a set of Edward Everett Horton shorts recently released by Ben Model's Undercrank Productions.

...Here's an interesting article on Netflix and subtitles.

...Notable Passings: Producer Michael Laughlin (TWO-LANE BLACKTOP), who was once married to Leslie Caron, has passed on at 82...William Lucking, a familiar face in episodic TV, has died at 82...Linda Carlson, who played the TV station manager on NEWHART from 1985 to 1987, recently died at 76.

...Please note there will not be an Around the Blogosphere Week column next weekend, as I'll be traveling out of state.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my October 30th roundup.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristina said...

Double Door, now there’s a pre-Code I’d never heard of, sounds very interesting, with one imdb-er comparing it to Universal horror.
Love that Pyrex!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Vienna said...

Many thanks for mentioning my review of Alias Nick Beal. Glenn Erickson wrote a great review of The Naked Spur. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to purchase it yet - not on Amazon at the moment.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Silver Screenings said...

Thanks for the mention! I'll be checking out the other links, too.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all so much for your comments!

Kristina, I'm curious to check out DOUBLE DOOR too...hopefully it won't be too scary for me LOL. Isn't that Pyrex great?! I loved using my new set for Thanksgiving leftovers and will continue to enjoy it for the next few weeks!

Vienna, my pleasure! Hope you can get THE NAKED SPUR soon. It's in my review stack and I will review it here just as soon as I have time!! Excited to see the Blu-ray print.

Silver Screenings (Ruth), I'm happy to have mentioned!! I did have a great weekend, Thank you!!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older