Saturday, February 12, 2022

Tonight's Movie: Party Girl (1958) - A Warner Archive Blu-ray Review

PARTY GIRL (1958), directed by Nicholas Ray, was recently released on Blu-ray by the Warner Archive.

PARTY GIRL stars two of my all-time favorites, Robert Taylor and Cyd Charisse. Charisse plays Vicki Gaye, a nightclub dancer who chances to meet mob lawyer Tommy Farrell at a party, hence the film's title.

Tommy, who limps due to a severe childhood injury, is on the payroll of Chicago mob boss Rico Angelo (Lee J. Cobb), who isn't always completely tethered to reality. In one of the more memorable scenes, Rico becomes drunk due to his grief over Jean Harlow marrying.

Tommy's had a rather empty life, between his injury and an estranged wife (Claire Kelly) who uses him as nothing more than a meal ticket, so he hasn't much cared about the ethics of working for Rico. That all changes when Tommy and Vicki gradually fall in love and he begins to see the possibility of a new life.

A series of surgical procedures in Europe give Tommy pain relief and greater mobility. So far so good, but when Tommy tries to further remake his life and leave Rico's employ for a fresh start with Vicki in another state, Rico puts their lives on the line.

Enter special prosecutor Jeffrey Stewart (Kent Smith)...

This is a terrific film which I first saw in 2007. I noted in that review that the VHS tape I watched was a pan-and-scan and not the best print. It was thus wonderful to revisit this film as it should be seen, in vivid color on a beautifully restored widescreen Blu-ray.

PARTY GIRL was one of the first few films I saw Taylor in, along with my all-time favorite Taylor film, WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951) the same year. I remember being impressed with his subtle performance, often conveyed in looks rather than words. That still holds true; even small moments such as a glance at Vicki in a courtroom hold meaning. A wordless scene where he waits for her to get into his car simultaneously conveys his attraction and uncertainty. This is one of his best and most interesting performances.

My opinion that Taylor is quite an underrated actor has been cemented by watching roughly 30 of his films in the last 15 years. I especially recommend his Westerns and crime films, as well as ABOVE AND BEYOND (1952), about the pilot of the Enola Gay.

I've always loved Charisse but wasn't completely satisfied with her performance on my first viewing. Seeing the film again, I have no criticism whatever. Her character's stoicism is that of a woman who's constantly had to fend off lecherous men while trying to survive in a tough environment. Her restraint is a good match for Taylor's Tommy, making it understandable why they click.

Kent Smith can be a dry actor in some films, but he has quite a nice supporting turn in this one, making the most of his scenes in the last part of the film. His line deliveries and bits of business add color and interest to the film; I'd go so far as to say I think this is the best of any of his performances I've seen.

I also especially liked John Ireland as a hood who's hung up on Vicki and would like nothing more than to push Tommy out of the picture and have Vicki to himself. She, of course, isn't having it, which doesn't go over well.

This 99-minute film was written by George Wells from a story by Leo Katcher. The beautiful CinemaScope photography was by Robert Bronner. Charisse's costumes were by the great Helen Rose.

The supporting cast includes Corey Allen, Barbara Lang, Myrna Hansen, Betty Utey, David Opatoshu, and Sam McDaniel.  That's an uncredited Tony Martin, Charisse's husband, singing the title song.

As noted, the Warner Archive Blu-ray looks terrific. The soundtrack is also excellent. The lone extra is the trailer.

PARTY GIRL is an excellent film which I recommend.

Thanks to the Warner Archive for providing a review copy of this Blu-ray. Warner Archive Blu-rays may be ordered from the Warner Archive Collection Amazon Store or from any online retailers where Blu-rays are sold.

6 Comments:

Blogger Barry Lane said...

The Taylor character was based on an attorney named Dixie DAvis, but he did not work for Al Capone, his guy was Dutch Schultz.Cyd played a variation of a woman named Hope Dare. Hope lived until 1999. A full Life, while her husband died in 1969 following a home invasion of a heart attack. Eddie Muller claims the Taylor character was based on someone else. He is wrong.

John and Cyd worked for me in 1985. He was keen on it, but she was not. Make that not at all. I had originally cast Austin Willis, but after the first week of rehearsal, Austin was diagnosed with prostate cancer. We employed John at the suggestion of Tony martin, and it worked out. Ireland was wrong for the part, but he brought modernity to it. A good thing.

Final thought: Wikipedia states this was Cyd's last film for MGM. Wrong for a change. It was her final film under her original contract, but her last for Metro was Two weeks in Another Town, a great Irwin Shaw novel abused by the filmmakers.

8:57 AM  
Blogger dfordoom said...

Robert Taylor was a great actor and this is one of his best performances. I thought Cyd Charisse was fine in this one. As a dramatic actress she's rather underrated.

As for the movie, I just can't get into any of Nicholas Ray's movies at all. I've tried, I've tried really hard, but I just can't enjoy his movies.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Barry Lane said...

Your observation is well taken as I am generally, not unimpressed with Ray, but without interest in him, Johnny Guitar excepted.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Barry Lane said...

I am Barry,

Not at all anonymous by design. Many strange things going on.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Barry Lane said...

Robert Taylor was great and powerful. Check his work in Ivanhoe.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you both for your comments!

Barry, your writing style and background are so distinctive that I can usually tell when it's you, even if it comes through as "Anonymous"!

As for Nicholas Ray, I love some of his films (ON DANGEROUS GROUND is a favorite) and have disliked others (I didn't connect at all with BIGGER THAN LIFE). JOHNNY GUITAR is one I really enjoy, once I got over my initial surprise at its strangeness LOL. PARTY GIRL is firmly in the "like" category.

Best wishes,
Laura

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older