Saturday, February 12, 2022

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Last week I linked to Raquel Stecher's latest list of upcoming film books. I highlighted just a couple of titles last week and want to mention two more, starting with QUEEN OF THE WEST: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF DALE EVANS by Theresa Kaminski. It's due out from Lyons Press in April. I've read many of Dale's autobiographical books and look forward to Kaminski's book.

...Also on the upcoming book list: GIRLS ON FILM: LESSONS FROM A LIFE OF WATCHING WOMEN IN MOVIES by Alicia Malone of Turner Classic Movies. It will be published by Mango in March.

...Last weekend I reviewed MONSIEUR BEAUCAIRE (1946), a Paramount Pictures film starring Bob Hope and Joan Caulfield. I mentioned being a bit surprised the movie wasn't filmed in color to better show off its opulent costumes. I was very interested to learn from Phyllis Loves Classic Movies that MONSIEUR BEAUCAIRE borrowed at least one gorgeous gown from MGM's MARIE ANTOINETTE (1938) -- which, incidentally, was also filmed in black and white.

...Coming to Blu-ray from Kino Lorber Studio Classics: The Maria Montez and Jon Hall Collection, containing the films WHITE SAVAGE (1943), GYPSY WILDCAT (1944), and SUDAN (1945). The prints will be from new 2K masters. This sounds fabulous! I loved Montez and Hall in Kino Lorber's releases of ARABIAN NIGHTS (1942) and ALI BABA AND THE FORTY THIEVES (1944).

...Also coming to Blu-ray soon from Kino Lorber: YOU AND ME (1938) starring George Raft and Sylvia Sidney.

...Jessica's review of THIN ICE (1937), starring Tyrone Power and Sonja Henie, made me want to watch it again! I don't think I've seen it since I reviewed it myself back in 2008.

...A new review from Glenn Erickson: The Warner Archive Blu-ray release of GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 (1933). I'll be reviewing that here as well!

...Due out later this month from John DiLeo: THERE ARE NO SMALL PARTS: ONE HUNDRED OUTSTANDING FILM PERFORMANCES WITH SCREEN TIME OF TEN MINUTES OR LESS, published by Glitterati. I've enjoyed several of John's previous books and look forward to reviewing his latest here in the next few weeks.

...Here's an interesting book which came out in December: SOUNDIES AND THE CHANGING IMAGE OF BLACK AMERICANS ON SCREEN: ONE DIME AT A TIME by Susan Delson, published by Indiana University Press.

...Nikki DeLoach and Andrew Walker are two of my favorite Hallmark movie actors. They've worked together in the past on a few occasions and are teaming up for a new mystery, THE CURIOUS CATERER (2022). It will be on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel in April.

...Another Hallmark note of interest: Autumn Reeser and Tyler Hynes will star in ALWAYS AMORE (2022), produced by the Food Network's Giada De Laurentiis. Classic film fans will be interested to learn that it costars former child actress Patty McCormack of THE BAD SEED (1956) fame. Thanks to reader Ashley for passing this on to me.

...There are a couple of interesting upcoming Disney books. THE HOUSE OF THE FUTURE: WALT DISNEY, MIT, AND MONSANTO'S VISION OF TOMORROW by David Bossert is currently having an Indiegogo fundraiser with the book due out in October 2023. Bossert always does superb work on niche Disney subjects, including KEM WEBER: MID-CENTURY FURNITURE DESIGNS FOR THE DISNEY STUDIOS and CLAUDE COATS: WALT DISNEY'S IMAGINEER - THE MAKING OF DISNEYLAND FROM TOAD HALL TO THE HAUNTED MANSION AND BEYOND. I was happy to lend my support to the publication of the book and look forward to my signed copy arriving in my mailbox next year!

...Also due out: THE IMAGINEERING STORY by Leslie Iwerks, based on her outstanding Disney+ documentary. It will be published in November.

...Thanks to this review by David Vineyard at Mystery File, I'm going to pull out my TCM copy of LONDON BY NIGHT (1937), starring George Murphy and Rita Johnson.

...Last month I posted about Dames, Janes, Dolls and Canaries, a fabulous series programmed by Farran Smith Nehme at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Here's a wonderfully illustrated article Farran wrote on the series, along with a second article by Olympia Kiriakou. I'm jealous of everyone who gets to attend and hope there might be a West Coast edition at some point!

...Attention Southern Californians: Next weekend, February 19th, the Autry will be hosting a screening of the silent Western THE STOLEN RANCH (1926) with live music provided by Cliff Retallick. The movie was directed by William Wyler and filmed in Lone Pine. Thanks to Karie Bible for the tip!

...Notable Passings: A pair of giants in the world of special effects died last week. Douglas Trumbull, who created the effects for 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968) and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977), died at 79. Robert Blalack, a cofounder of Industrial Light & Magic, passed on at 73...Following a trail of obituary information regarding Douglas Trumbull's family, I also belatedly learned of the August 2020 passing of his former sister-in-law, dancer-actress Virginia Bosler. She recreated her 1947 Broadway role as Jean MacLaren in BRIGADOON (1954), dancing the wonderful Wedding Dance. She also danced onscreen in OKLAHOMA! (1955). She was 93...Jim Angle, one of the original correspondents for Fox News Channel, has died at 75. He was with the network from 1996 to 2014. He always had an upbeat persona which I enjoyed.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my February 5th roundup.

2 Comments:

Blogger Seth said...

Thanks for mentioning the Iwerks book. I’ve added it to my wishlist.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad I could pass that info along, Seth! I really enjoyed the documentary.

Best wishes,
Laura

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older