Saturday, April 09, 2022

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...The Los Angeles Conservancy has announced the theaters and titles for its Last Remaining Seats series this June. The series, which began in 1987 and is usually held annually, features classic films in historic theaters, which this year will include the Orpheum and Los Angeles Theatres in Downtown Los Angeles and the Regency's Village Theatre in Westwood Village.


...Thanks to Raquel for making me aware of a new Nolan Ryan documentary which she saw while covering the SXSW Festival in March. That's one I'd like to see!

...Upcoming Blu-ray titles from Kino Lorber Studio Classics include a five-film Mr. Wong: Detective Collection, starring Boris Karloff, and John Ford's THE HORSE SOLDIERS (1959). THE HORSE SOLDIERS, which stars John Wayne and William Holden, will be out on June 14th and feature a commentary track by Ford scholar Joseph McBride.

...COVID prompted Turner Classic Movies host Alicia Malone to relocate from Los Angeles to Maine. I'll be reviewing Alicia's new book GIRLS ON FILM, which is part memoir, part film analysis, here at a future date.

...Jessica Pickens has a great list of unheralded films released in 1939 at her blog Comet Over Hollywood. I've seen a majority of the films she mentions and heartily endorse her list.

...I need to pull out my copy of THE MAN FROM BITTER RIDGE (1955), which Colin has reviewed at Riding the High Country. The cast includes Lex Barker, Mara Corday, and Stephen McNally, directed by Jack Arnold.

...Glenn Erickson's latest Blu-ray reviews include THE WHISTLE AT EATON FALLS (1951) from Flicker Alley and HESTER STREET (1975) from Kino Lorber. Look for reviews of both films here in the future!

...Notable Passings: Actor Nehemiah Persoff has passed away at the age of 102. His film career began with a bit in THE NAKED CITY (1948); he was the cab driver in the iconic scene with Marlon Brando and Rod Steiger in ON THE WATERFRONT (1954). Over a long career he amassed over 200 movie and TV credits...Longtime AS THE WORLD TURNS star Kathryn Hays has died at 87. Hays was briefly married to Glenn Ford in the late '60s...Singer Bobby Rydell, who played Hugo in BYE BYE BIRDIE (1963), has passed on at the age of 79. He also appeared in the classic DISNEYLAND episode "Disneyland After Dark" (1962)...Estelle Harris, the voice of Mrs. Potato Head in the TOY STORY franchise, died at 93...Patricia MacLachlan, the author of the Newbery Medal winner SARAH, PLAIN AND TALL and other books, has passed away at 84.

...Numerous bloggers have posted their thoughts on the TCM Classic Film Festival schedule; the festival gets underway April 21st. Some bloggers are planning on schedules quite similar to mine and others almost seem to be attending a different festival! Here are outlines by Aurora at Once Upon a Screen, Julia at Cinema Crossroads, Keisha at Cinema Cities, Sabina Stent, Daniel at Movie Mania Madness, and Kim at I See a Dark Theater. I've also enjoyed Karen's past festival memories at Shadows and Satin. Anyone who has posted their schedule picks is welcome to share a link in the comments!

...Next weekend begins a busy two months which will include four film festivals and additional travel, so news roundups will post more sporadically through mid-June. I'll update on when to expect them as we go.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my April 2nd roundup.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Thank you for including me in your round-up, Laura. I'm interested in learning more about the new streaming service offered by Retroformat! And I'd forgotten all about Kathryn Hays being married to Glenn Ford for a couple of years. See you soon!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Vienna said...

The Whistle at Eaton Falls sounds intriguing and of course Glenn Erickons’s review is so informative. Looks like I’ll be getting the blu Ray! Also enjoyed Jessica’s roundup of 1939 films.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, Karen! I'd completely forgotten about the Hays-Ford marriage myself until I was reminded on Twitter the other day. It was pretty short! Retroformat's new service does look interesting.

I'm looking forward to THE WHISTLE AT EATON FALLS, Vienna! I like so many of the films on Jessica's 1939 list that I definitely need to look for those I haven't seen, I suspect I'll enjoy them also.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older