Tuesday, May 08, 2007

New on DVD: Pirates of the Golden Age, The Waltons

Today's release, PIRATES OF THE GOLDEN AGE, looks like a lot of fun. The set contains four films: AGAINST ALL FLAGS with Errol Flynn and Maureen O'Hara, BUCCANEER'S GIRL with Yvonne DeCarlo, DOUBLE CROSSBONES with Donald O'Connor, and YANKEE PASHA with Jeff Chandler.

I've never seen any of the movies. I'm especially anxious to see AGAINST ALL FLAGS, which I think is probably worth the price of the set.

There are no extras other than trailers.

Today also sees the release of Season 5 of THE WALTONS.

It is really rather amazing that my 12-year-old is growing up with this show, just as I did at her age, only she's doing it via DVD rather than watching it on CBS Thursday nights. :)

As a parent, I am impressed anew with the positive messages communicated on THE WALTONS, and also mildly surprised to be reminded that the program relatively regularly discussed religious issues. (And of course, there were always those moments where Grandma sent temperamental Mary Ellen to memorize another set of Bible verses...) You just don't tend to see that kind of comfortable attitude toward religion in today's TV shows.

Last month my daughters attended a theater production of 12 ANGRY MEN, and my 12-year-old was thrilled beyond words when Richard Thomas signed her program at the stage door. Here again, she was somewhat reliving my own childhood, as I met him at roughly the same age, visiting the set of THE WALTONS thanks to the kindness of friends with "connections." (George Wendt was also very gracious about signing their programs!) They loved the show, which apparently will be touring into 2008, as I just received a mailer advertising it coming to Orange County next year.

For more on today's releases, see the roundup at The Shelf.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

I'll have to look on Netflix for "Against all Flags" - it has two of my kids' favorite actors. I've never heard of it.

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older