Monday, August 10, 2020

Photos From the Road: Eugene and the Lane County Fair

I've recently been reflecting on Summer 2019 and our wonderful trip to Oregon.

We enjoyed several days in Portland and Eugene last summer; it goes without saying that both travel and Portland are far changed situations this year. But rather than dwell on that, summer seems like a good time to wrap up sharing a few more of photos from our travels in late July 2019!

For anyone who may have missed them when they were first posted, additional photos from last summer are linked at the bottom of this post.


The drive from Portland to Eugene is "wine country" and quite scenic, as seen above. Along the way we stopped at the wonderful Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville; I anticipate sharing photos from that visit in a final trip post.

We've visited our daughter and son-in-law's alma mater, the University of Oregon, several times since 2014. I always love returning to this beautiful campus in Eugene.


My husband's parents also graduated from the university so there is a lot of family history there.


As seen in ANIMAL HOUSE (1978):


I love the Duck Store! There's a nice tie-in with my love for Disney, as Oregon is the only university with a Disney mascot, thanks to a handshake deal with Walt Disney. While the university increasingly uses a different duck, "Puddles," for public events such as football games, Donald can still be found on some university merchandise. I inevitably leave the store with a new mug or t-shirt!


We really enjoyed visiting the colorful Lane County Fair with our daughter and son-in-law.



It was much smaller than our Orange County Fair and had a real community feel, with traditional competitions for baking, quilt making, and animals raised by children.


I really enjoyed taking in all the beautiful "homemaking" entries, especially the handmade quilts.



Jams and preserves were there as well!


And we shared some amazing onion rings!


Dutch Bros is my favorite stop in Oregon! I love their colorful logo. I also shared Dutch Bros photos in 2014 (at Autzen Stadium!), 2016, and 2018. I guess I like to spread the word about this company. Wonderful products and very friendly service; the overall quality reminds me of California's In-N-Out Burger.


Dickie Jo's is a favorite hamburger stop in the Eugene area.


We've been there several times and always enjoy it. On this visit I brought home a Dickie Jo's mug as a travel souvenir.


We also love the Original Pancake House near the University of Oregon.


I previously shared a couple photos from the Pancake House in 2016.


Still to come, a final 2019 "Photos From the Road" post on the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum.  (Update: Here is that post!)

Previous 2019 Photos from the Road: McMenamins Kennedy School Hotel; Portland and the Oregon Zoo; Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older