Friday, February 22, 2008

Walt Disney World: Epcot

On our trip to Disney World earlier this month we spent an afternoon and evening at Epcot. This gave us the chance to visit a new ride and a remodeled ride, as well as the time to check out old favorites.

Mexico's El Rio Del Tiempo ride in the World Showcase has been remodeled as the Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros. It opened last year. Consequently, there is colorful Three Caballeros merchandise for sale -- I brought home a new mug.

At The Seas with Nemo and Friends (formerly the Living Seas), there's a new Finding Nemo ride which uses some of the same technology from the Submarine Voyage here at Disneyland. Guests ride in Omnimover-type vehicles (such as those used in the Haunted Mansion) past windows which look into the ocean. A song from the new Finding Nemo musical at the Animal Kingdom is also used in the ride. I didn't like it as much as Submarine Voyage, but it was fun to see it and compare the two rides.


A closeup of the iconic Spaceship Earth:


They were "soft opening" the remodeled Spaceship Earth ride when we were there but we didn't have the chance to try it out. It officially reopened on February 15th, shortly after our visit.

The Monorail track, looking towards The Land:


Club Cool is a unique stop which allows guests to try free samples of Coca-Cola products from around the world:


Trying the "Beverly" is a rite of passage for new Epcot visitors (grin).

Victoria Gardens in the Canadian section of World Showcase:


The exterior of Le Cellier, a favorite Epcot restaurant:


A pretty view near Le Cellier:


The British Pavilion in World Showcase:


China:


As an "extra," here's a photo I took of World Showcase Lagoon in 2004, as we were waiting for IllumiNations to start. If you're visiting WDW for the first time, IllumiNations is a must-see:


Some of our other favorite stops at Epcot are the Test Track ride, shopping at the Mitsukoshi store in Japan, and the CircleVision 360 movie O CANADA! in Canada -- unfortunately we didn't have time to see the updated version of the movie.

Previous posts: Walt Disney World: Animal Kingdom; Walt Disney World: Disney's Hollywood Studios; Walt Disney World: The Resorts; Walt Disney World: Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa; Coming Soon.

Updated: Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom.

3 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I noticed you did not mention Mission Space. Did you give that ride a pass? Some time ago I had two brothers come through my first grade class and their Dad is an imagineer with Disney. He and another woman were the head imagineers for Mission Space.

The one attraction I liked most at Epcot I believe is gone. Don't remember what it was called but you went "into the brain" of an adolescent boy. It was a riot and I wished they had brought that out here to Disneyland.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

How interesting about Mission Space! I rode on it in 2004 and decided never again. My two oldest children did ride it again in 2005 but the rest of us thought once was enough. (grin) Now they have a different version available which doesn't spin to simulate taking off and I might try that one day, but there wasn't time on this trip.

The other ride you describe doesn't sound like something that was there on my previous trips, although I haven't done everything in the entire park; even on more extended visits, as I've been lucky to have in the past, there just isn't time!

They keep rumoring that Mickey's Philharmagic, from FL's MK, will come to DCA -- I really love that one. It's a 3D musical movie which is very cute. Hope it shows up here eventually!

Best wishes,
Laura

12:28 PM  
Blogger The Whiz Kid Forte said...

Great trip report. I'm sorry that your family didn't go to Mission: Space! (I rave about the green team version!)

To Irene: The now-defunct attraction in the now-defunct Wonders of Life pavilion was Cranium Command. It was one of my favorite Epcot shows I've ever watched! I really miss it dearly.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older