Friday, December 05, 2008

Happy Birthday, Walt Disney

The great Walt Disney was born on this date in 1901. 107 years later, his influence is still felt throughout the world.

There are many excellent sites where you can learn more about the life and career of Walt Disney, including The Walt Disney Family Museum.

Disney History and 2719 Hyperion are two more sites I enjoy visiting.

Speaking of Disney, one of my favorite recent Disney-related books is BEHIND THE MAGIC: 50 YEARS OF DISNEYLAND by Karal Ann Marling, coauthored with Donna R. Braden. The book was written as a companion for the 2005 Disneyland exhibition at the Henry Ford Museum, which I wrote about back in October 2005. The book is now being sold at Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure.

Marling is an outstanding writer who a decade ago wrote DESIGNING DISNEY'S THEME PARKS: THE ARCHITECTURE OF REASSURANCE. She's also the author of a marvelous book titled MERRY CHRISTMAS! CELEBRATING AMERICA'S GREATEST HOLIDAY, which covers the history of Christmas in 20th century popular culture.

The illustrations in BEHIND THE MAGIC are superb. The book is a softcover and is 112 pages. Highly recommended.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

My daughter has been asking me what I want for Christmas and it has just dawned on me that this would be perfect. We are planning to visit Disneyland this Monday and/or Wednesday (so I can relax between weekend performances) and she can pick up a copy then :)

8:34 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I've seen copies in both Disneyana and Greetings From California. It's not very expensive, either. Enjoy!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older