Thursday, October 22, 2009

Audrey Hepburn Tribute at LACMA

The weekend film program at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art is back in business. Friday night the series "Audrey Hepburn: Then, Now and Forever" launches.

The schedule:

Friday, October 23: ROMAN HOLIDAY, THEY ALL LAUGHED (introduced by Peter Bogdanovich)

Saturday, October 24: BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, TWO FOR THE ROAD

Friday, October 30: SABRINA, LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON

Friday, November 6: CHARADE, WAIT UNTIL DARK

Saturday, November 7: WAR AND PEACE

Friday, November 13: MY FAIR LADY

That October 30th double bill is particularly tempting...I've only seen bits of SABRINA and have been interested in seeing LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON, especially since reading this interesting review (although I strongly disagree with the author's opinion that Cooper is "a stiff actor of limited range"...!).

LACMA'S Tuesday matinee series in November includes Robert Montgomery and Carole Lombard in MR. AND MRS. SMITH on November 10 and Robert Taylor and Ava Gardner in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE on November 24. I certainly wish the Museum were a bit closer...I've never seen MR. AND MRS. SMITH on a big screen, and I don't think I've ever seen a single Robert Taylor film in a movie theater.

Friday Update: Bought tickets to see SABRINA and LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON!

Update: Here are reviews of SABRINA (1954) and LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON (1957).

6 Comments:

Blogger Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Coop may have had a limited range but he didn't really need to be another Olivier--he had a quality about him that literally lit up the screen. He fascinates me in so many ways as how he could work the magic that he did. As far as Love in the Afternoon goes, my only quibble is that Cooper is too old for Hepburn.

Still, what I've always found puzzling is that while the Cooper-Hepburn relationship in Afternoon makes me squeamish, the Humphrey Bogart-Hepburn relationship in Sabrina does not...and Bogart's every bit as old as Cooper in that film. I attribute this to the fact that I'm a bigger Bogart fan than I am of Cooper's, but a friend of mine once suggested that the explanation might be that Bogart goes after Hepburn purely as a business venture--he's trying to keep her away from brother William Holden so that Holden can marry the bride picked out by their old man and merge companies. She further stated: "Cooper just has a bigger libido."

Nevertheless, I'd kill for the opportunity to see this double feature on the big screen. And you can throw in Two For the Road while you're at it.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Ivan,

The review I linked has an interesting analysis of Hepburn's relationships with Bogart and Cooper in the movies...enjoyed your thoughts!

I've still got to see TWO FOR THE ROAD, too...

I have to admit I've never been much of an Audrey Hepburn fan (I know, the heresy!!) but she's been growing on me bit by bit. I've always had a bit of a problem with her voice, and part (but not all) of my problem is that I simply don't really care for her in the lead in MY FAIR LADY. But I have to be glad she did it because if she didn't, Julie Andrews probably wouldn't have made MARY POPPINS...

Despite my Hepburn reservations, I appreciate her role in Hollywood history and as a style icon, and I hope it will work out to see that double bill! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

9:43 AM  
Blogger bubble said...

Hi! I stumbled onto your lovely blog by searching about disneyland paris on google! We go to disneyland tomorrow, I went when it first opened and I was 10, it was great...now I am 26 and taking my children lol! I love the place!!

Great Blog. Amy :)

6:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Have a wonderful trip, Amy! And thank you very much for the kind words. I hope you'll enjoy visiting here again.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:17 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

"I have to admit I've never been much of an Audrey Hepburn fan..."

Oh dear, Laura, I'm afraid I will have to rethink our relationship! :)

p.s. Roman Holiday - oh boy, that Gregory Peck was something and he and Hepburn bounced charm and delight back and forth throughout the wonderful film.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

LOL, Dana! But I'm reforming! Got tickets today to see two of the movies.

I agree, wasn't Peck marvelous in ROMAN HOLIDAY? I just wish I liked the ending more...

Best wishes,
Laura

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older