Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Black Pepper Beef Roast With Shallot Sauce

Perhaps it's the cold, rainy weather which is turning my thoughts to cooking and recipes more often recently...here's another good one!

A couple years ago I mentioned making this recipe when I had recently acquired the Good Housekeeping cookbook ROAST IT!

When I made it again last night, I discovered the recipe can be found online -- in fact, it's a photo of the actual cookbook page.

This recipe is so simple! I add an additional 15 minutes cooking time at the end, with the oven turned up to 425, and the roast comes out a perfect shade of medium rare. YMMV depending on your oven.

I don't bother taking the time to put the roasting pan over heat after removing the roast, especially as my stovetop is already busy boiling potatoes and browning shallots. I simply pour the broth into the roasting pan to quickly deglaze it, scraping bits from the bottom of the pan; then I pour the broth through a strainer into the pan with the browned shallots. Bring to a boil. Super easy.

The sauce is wonderful with mashed potatoes. This is a perfect meal for cold weather or a nice Sunday dinner.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Absolutely inspiring, Laura! Yum! I may venture into the kitchen this weekend.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Dana, I hope you like it if you try this! The leftovers are good too. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older