Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Mulroney Cast as Jim Rockford

The ROCKFORD FILES remake first mentioned here last summer is moving ahead with the casting of 46-year-old actor Dermot Mulroney as Jim Rockford. (Click the title of this post for the story.) The pilot begins filming in a few weeks.

Pause while I roll my eyes...

Why can't they cast Mulroney in his own original detective show? This is pure laziness on the part of the producers, attempting to cash in on a name that means a great deal to many TV fans.

Paraphrasing what I said last summer, in some cases remakes have their place, but this show deserves to die an instantaneous death.

There is only one Jim Rockford, and there will only ever be one Jim Rockford, and it's not Dermot Mulroney.

7 Comments:

Blogger Abe Lucas said...

Ugh. Another remake of a previously loved TV show doomed to failure.

I'm still reeling over the remake--a word I've come to despise--of Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

And if the 1970s were so "bad" why do they insist on revisiting its TV shows?

Other than this I'm in a great mood. :)

5:33 AM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

No! No! No! James Garner is the only Rockford. This is one of the few 70's TV shows I've actually seen. (We did not have much TV reception in the boonies.)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Heh. I like it when say it like it is, Laura! (Did originality die?)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It's nice to hear from others who share my opinion on this. :)

Thanks to all,
Laura

7:42 PM  
Blogger mel said...

Sorry, I'd absolutely refuse to watch any episode of Rockford Files, old or new, unless Jim Rockford was played by James Garner.

What on earth were they thinking?

8:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Laura, Please don't post to only wait to hear from strictly those with your identical opinion. How boring that is. Mulroney is a great actor, he can make the show his own. Handsome with classic good looks and a rich voice, Mulroney is an experienced actor I won't want to miss. I'm EXCITED about the new show with star Mulroney, with no disrespect to Garner.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Terri,

I certainly agree with you; while it is always nice to hear from kindred spirits with similar opinions, it is also fun to hear from those who have different ideas. You seem to have perhaps jumped to a conclusion in your comment?

I obviously have a very strong opinion on this particular subject, but it's interesting to know that someone else wants to see a new take on the role.

Best wishes,
Laura

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older