Saturday, June 12, 2010

Coming to DVD: The Kim Novak Collection

Sony continues its recent great work bringing out classic films on DVD. The five-film Kim Novak Collection will be available on August 3, 2010.

The movies in the set will be PICNIC, JEANNE EAGELS, MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, PAL JOEY, and BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE. MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, costarring Fredrick March, and JEANNE EAGELS are new to DVD.

ClassicFlix says the films will all be restored and remastered. Extras will include Novak's commentary on selected scenes and new featurettes.

It's interesting to note that the cover art seen at ClassicFlix differs from the cover shown on Amazon, seen above.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gordon Pasha said...

Thank you Laura:

Kim and I grew up together but as I said to Matthew recently, she and I were galaxies apart.

“Bell, Book” is terrific; Kim at her most vulnerable. I love the look of “Jeanne Eagels” and Agnes always helps. But Jeff Chandler and I do not get along, although he was probably well cast as a Coney Island guy. I suspect that given your resources you might have somewhere seen the original Jeanne on film. I have not, but would love to see the 1929 “The Letter”.

“Middle of the Night” is probably the best news to Novackians as it has been in Save Mode on Netflix. I had not seen it in years until TCM showed it during their Summer of Stars festival in 2008. It seems like odd casting with Fredric March, but that makes sense considering the plot. And with the exception of “Picnic”, the films are all New York based movies too: Coney Island, the Garment District and Bohemian lower New York. (While Kim was blossoming in the mid-west and west, I was in The Bronx.) East is East …

Gerald

11:47 AM  
Blogger Gordon Pasha said...

Addendum:

I overlooked "Pal Joey". I have a mental block about Sinatra movies --- except maybe "The Man with the Golden Arm". And that is because of Kim.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older