Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Netflix News

Netflix has announced price increases beginning in January.

The basic one-at-a-time plan, currently $8.99, raises by a dollar to $9.99. The other plans also have price increases. All of these plans include access to online streaming in addition to DVDs by mail.

Netflix has also introduced their first-ever "streaming only" plan, which provides access to watch movies online, without any DVDs provided by mail. The streaming plan is $7.99 a month.

The New York Times reports today that "In a matter of months, the movie delivery company Netflix has gone from being the fastest-growing first-class mail customer of the United States Postal Service to the biggest source of streaming Web traffic in North America during peak evening hours."

The article goes on to say that Netflix is "revolutionizing the way millions of people watch television" -- and cable companies are none too happy, as they have seen subscriptions falling in recent months.

3 Comments:

Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Even with the price increase Netflix is still very affordable considering I split the cost with my boyfriend. If we were to get cable, with the channels we want (TCM for me, Speed Channel for him) we'd be looking at paying almost $100 more a month. That's way to steep for us. Perhaps one day we can afford it but not right now.

Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I agree, it's an excellent deal. We have the one-at-a-time plan and when you throw in the streaming which my kids use fairly regularly, it's a really good value. With so much available at Netflix, it's understandable why so many people such as yourself are using it instead of, rather than in addition to, cable.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:59 AM  
Blogger Robby Cress said...

Netflix is still the best bargain around and hopefully it stays that way. I feel like I'm getting ripped off every time I see my cable bill. I'm paying a lot for stuff I don't want. I hope cable companies will go to an a la carte type service. I'm very close to abandoning cable altogether and just keeping my netflix plan.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older