Sunday, December 19, 2010

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...The L.A. Times tipped me off to an interesting new title in the Images of America series from Arcadia Publishing: LOCATION FILMING IN LOS ANGELES by Karie Bible, Mark Wanamaker, and Harry Medved.

...Glenn Erickson has published his favorite DVDs of 2010 at DVD Savant. His top pick was NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955), a film which prompted an extended discussion in the comments of a roundup post a couple weeks ago. Those of you who recommended the film might like to know I just bought the DVD -- I'm calling it an early Christmas present!

...DVDs coming in January: SECRETARIAT (January 25th) and THE SOCIAL NETWORK (January 11th). My oldest daughter enjoyed THE SOCIAL NETWORK very much. I'm looking forward to seeing both films.

...Last weekend I reposted my year-old review of Deanna Durbin's LADY ON A TRAIN (1945), a noirish comedy set at Christmastime. Tale Peddler, an Australian blogger, likes it too. She includes a video link of Deanna's rendition of "Silent Night."

...According to this article the Top 5 most popular titles from the Warner Archive include the miniseries THE AWAKENING LAND (1978), starring Elizabeth Montgomery, Hal Holbrook, and Jane Seymour. I bought it myself and it's still sitting in my mile-high stack of good stuff to watch!

...NO MAN OF HER OWN (1950), described at Noir of the Week, is one of the not-on-DVD movies which recently showed up in Netflix's "Watch Instantly" inventory; the Noir of the Week reviewer, Frank M. Young, says the Netflix print is excellent. The film stars Barbara Stanwyck, John Lund, and Jane Cowl (ONCE MORE, MY DARLING) and was directed by Mitchell Leisen. Here's another review from Black and White: Cinema and Chocolate.

...At 50 Westerns From the 50s, Toby's compiled a great wish list of not-on-DVD '50s Westerns. (I was one of those honored to be asked to contribute suggestions.) I was very interested to learn that the title most requested by his correspondents was WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951), a film I love. I really wish this movie would rate a "real" DVD release -- say, next Father's Day? -- rather than being issued by Warner Archive...although an Archive release, especially if it's remastered, would be better than nothing.

...Coming in February from the Pioneer Woman: BLACK HEELS TO TRACTOR WHEELS: A LOVE STORY. I once had an entire morning vanish on me when I became caught up in reading this tale online. Incidentally, Ree's Chicken Pot Pie has become a staple on our menu. It's my 15-year-old's favorite meal! This similar recipe for turkey pot pie looks scrumptious.

...Speaking of cooking, here's another list of the best cookbooks of the year. Dorie Greenspan's AROUND MY FRENCH TABLE has moved onto my wish list, as it's made several "Top 10" lists this month. The cover photo makes me hungry!

...I really enjoyed the MGM film noir Tension (1949). Here's a short post focusing on Audrey Totter's character.

...Nina Foch, who coincidentally is one of the stars of last night's movie AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (1951), taught for decades at the School of Cinematic Arts at the University of Southern California. It's neat to see footage of her USC courses has been released on DVD, coproduced by USC alum George Lucas. I'm glad this unique slice of film history has been preserved in this manner.

..."Phone-Wielding Shoppers Strike Fear Into Retailers": I don't have an iPhone, but my Palm Centro is handy for comparing prices at Barnes & Noble or Costco with Amazon. I do it all the time.

...Power Line, in my opinion one of the finest, best-written political blogs, hit 100,000,000 million visitors last week. It's written by three attorneys, two based in Minnesota and the other in the Washington, D.C., area.

...Allure has a photo tribute to Busby Berkeley chorus girl Toby Wing, who shines in a small, photogenic role in 42ND STREET (1933).

...Here's the next batch in the countdown of the 100 Greatest Film Noir Posters at Where Danger Lives.

...My family got a kick out of this Foxtrot comic strip.

...Notable Passing: Actress Neva Patterson, who played Spencer Tracy's uptight assistant in DESK SET (1957) and Cary Grant's fiancee in AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (1957), has passed on at the age of 90.

Have a great week!

1 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

Powerline is fine as long as you are far right. Us middle of the roaders just think Rush and O'Rielly already fill that niche.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older